Re: Bad behavior at games

Post by greenjewel »

bigdog2003 wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:23 pm
greenjewel wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:52 pm
bigdog2003 wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:43 pm
Poverty is an excuse that people love to throw around for ANY issue. Drug use, poverty. Crime rate, poverty. Dog steps on a bee, poverty.

It's 2022, not 1902. If you are living in poverty with all the opportunities there are to make money OUTSIDE OF working a 9-5, that's on you. It's just easier for people to sit back, do the minimum, and blame everybody else for their own shortcomings. It's the 1% holding me down, its the left or the right, its not my fault it's society.

Greed is not a bad thing. They print more money every day, the goal is to get as much of it into my hands as fast as possible.
Go live in the hood for a year and come back and tell us about all the opportunities for children there. Send your children to their schools for a year and then come back and talk to us. Put on a black face and go try to get a loan. There is no opportunity for anyone much except the rich. We love to watch these poor black kids play ball but as far as the human side of their lives we don't give a shit.
You have no clue about me, the neighborhood I grew up in, or how many of my best friends I grew up running with are doing LONG prison stints or are dead, so I'll give you a pass.

You also don't know where I worked for almost a decade, the demographic of kids I worked with, or anything else about my life. I've seen stuff most people wouldn't believe. Kids with moldy food in their bookbag they've been trying to save for the weekend when they won't have lunch from school. Kids coming to school in the middle of winter with no coat or shoes.

At the end of the day poverty is still a choice. If you don't think I'm speaking from experience, that's fine. Sometimes you just gotta find a niche, disappear for a while, grind non-stop, then come out the other side.
I absolutely am not judging you at all. i don't do that, i just know that a kid who grows up in the hood comes to bat with 2 strikes against him and once his days with us are over we don't give a shit about him. Not me, not you- US. As a group we don't care nearly enough. It's easier to blame and that is what we do. In my opinion. We should do more. You may see it differently. Certainly don't want to offend anyone but i feel strongly about this.

DeCav
Dorman Cavaliers

Post by DeCav »

Penguin wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:15 pm
My point, which I poorly portrayed, is that the bad behavior, be it man, woman, or child, is a direct product of the environment in which we live. I know that 99% of you here are Conservatives, but if you would just step back and see how our societal norms were changed during the 4 years of the last guy. We witnessed things that nobody in their right mind would have ever thought out of our elected leaders, be they left, or right. And people have been rewarded for this poor behavior. When mommy and daddy can go out and shout down, or beat down, those with whom they disagree, how are the children expected to act? How best do we correct this? Be better role models for our children. If we can't count on our elected leaders to do it, at least be strong enough to use your moral compass to guide you instead of your lust for power and greed.
bigdog2003 wrote:
Poverty is an excuse that people love to throw around for ANY issue. Drug use, poverty. Crime rate, poverty. Dog steps on a bee, poverty.

It's 2022, not 1902. If you are living in poverty with all the opportunities there are to make money OUTSIDE OF working a 9-5, that's on you. It's just easier for people to sit back, do the minimum, and blame everybody else for their own shortcomings. It's the 1% holding me down, its the left or the right, its not my fault it's society.

Greed is not a bad thing. They print more money every day, the goal is to get as much of it into my hands as fast as possible.
“Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

DeCav
Dorman Cavaliers

Post by DeCav »

greenjewel wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:50 pm
DeCav wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:33 pm
Does your child feel hopeless?

Mine does not. He's light years ahead of where I was at his age. He has already graduated college and will probably open his own small business in a few years.

To wit...

"In September 2018, the United States, Mexico, and Canada reached an agreement to replace NAFTA with the United States–Mexico–Canada Agreement (USMCA), and all three countries had ratified it by March 2020. NAFTA remained in force until USMCA was implemented."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Ame ... mplemented.

The only logical response here would be that it's going to take some time to see the drop in violence at football games. And will the USMCA fix the problem or did we just replace it with a new problem? I can say the USMCA is definitely in place now as it was what I was doing last fall at work, updating our international product lines with the new FTA guidelines.

I noticed you didn't answer two of my questions.

With respect,

When was the last time you ordered a physical object from Amazon?

Who should we vote for?

One other question.

Do you have any studies or links on this theory? I'll dive into them. This is a new idea that I'm just hearing, that NAFTA is to blame for violence at high school football games. I'd like to familiarize myself with this angle.
First, here is your link. https://www.childinthecity.org/2018/11/ ... dpr=accept A child who grows up in poverty is 7 times more likely to be a criminal as an adult. There are hundreds of studies that verify this. Just look at the crime rates in poor neighborhoods. As far as who you should vote for, there is a new 3rd party developing run by Andrew Yang and 2 Republicans. I will be closely watching that. I got an order from Amazon yesterday. The same people who cause violence at ball games also cause violence at many other places, with their homes at the top of the list.

A couple of things here...

You jumped into this thread with this glorious intro...
I, respectfully, disagree with all of you.
Just a guess here, but that attitude probably won't endear you to many members here. The "respectfully" quip doesn't erase the social fart you let in people's faces.

Not surprisingly, it seems you've already managed to step on a few toes. Good luck with that. A lot of the folks you're dismissing have been hoeing this row for 12 years now on the boards. You seem passionate and reasonably respectful. You're not an idiot so I suspect you'll eventually attenuate your settings and get into a state of flow. Either that or you'll flame out. You can dismiss with a wave of your hand every other opinion on this forum but God help you if anyone demonstrates that you're talking out of your ass.

Speaking of which...

I clicked on your link and started to read it. I can only postulate that you ran out in a hurry to google a link that you could post so your claim seemed more credible and substantial. There are at least two compelling reasons for my theory on this and I didn't even finish the first few sentences before the first reason jumped out at me.

Well, ok...three.

Let's see, I asked for an article or study relating NAFTA to violence. What I got was an article that just relates poverty to violence.

Ok, fair enough. I'll read the article that someone posted in response to a thread concerning bad behavior at sporting events. Please keep in mind that the genesis for this discussion was stated quite literally in the opening post, the event at the Greenwood Jamboree.

The article you posted opens with these two sentences...
The study used data from Denmark, however, two of the authors Professor Roger Webb and Dr. Pearl Mok argue that the “results are relevant to the UK, whose population demographics are similar, as is their health system”.
Wow, did you even read the article?? Or did you just copy the link straight off the google home page?

We're discussing anti-social behavior or antagonistic behavior at American high school football games and you can't find a better study than a Danish one where the researchers point out that the Danish social landscape is similar enough to the British social landscape that we can assume the study holds true for Britain? I didn't see anywhere in your link any mention of NAFTA or America.

There are hundreds of studies that verify this.
Maybe next time pick one of the hundreds of studies that relates to OUR hemisphere? I realize I'm splitting hairs here but come on man.

I mean dang dude. You gotta bring it harder than that. I can see how you're passionate about this but I would caution you to slow your roll and pump the breaks a bit. You might come off as a bit careless.

Maybe I should represent your views?

Check it...
"The effect of the NAFTA in crime"
https://ttu-ir.tdl.org/handle/2346/58196

"The Violent Side Effects of NAFTA - America Magazine"
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... q1PUboJ1W2

"The Institutionalizing of NAFTA: 20 Years of Violence and ..."
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 7A5H_JC69w

"Monthly Media Roundup: Violent Crime And NAFTA ... - Forbes"
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... dGS2m79Blq

The fact that I have to do YOUR research to see if your argument holds any water is fairly depressing to me and doesn't give me much confidence in your opinions so far.

Let's get to my 3rd point.

You stated...
Neither party has done squat to reverse NAFTA
Ok, this pretty much disqualifies your comments and opinions from being considered at this point.

The above comment is categorically untrue.

Click the following to be taken to the Wiki page on NAFTA...
The USMCA took effect on July 1, 2020, replacing NAFTA..

The entire article begins with the sentence, "The North American Free Trade Agreement was..." How do you not know this?

We can go back and forth as to the effectiveness of said replacement but what's the point? I can only guess that it's news to you that NAFTA doesn't exist anymore.

Let's see here, here's another blow to your impassioned cry for our country to save entrepreneurs and promote small startups...

You're still buying stuff on Amazon. Honestly, I half expected someone so possessed of the ideology that big business is destroying our country to say something like, "I don't buy products online because they're destroying small business owners." It's kind of like a climate change advocate saying, "Yeah I drive an SUV, why?"

Lastly, I'll just say this. You've already let at least two off-putting racial biases escape in this thread. The admins will let a few things go but talking about the color of someone's skin is poor form.

I hope you understand that I'm just trying to help shape your position and hopefully strengthen it by pointing out its weaknesses.

And keep in mind that feeling strongly about something isn't an excuse to be inaccurate, mistaken, or offensive.

Just ask these ANTIFA mario's. Yes, I'm joking about ANTIFA. I'm sure the Trump base was dead serious on Jan 7th when they came out in full force blaming ANTIFA for dressing up like them.

“Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

bigdog2003
Newberry Bulldogs

Post by bigdog2003 »

greenjewel wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:42 pm
bigdog2003 wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:23 pm
greenjewel wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:52 pm
bigdog2003 wrote:

Go live in the hood for a year and come back and tell us about all the opportunities for children there. Send your children to their schools for a year and then come back and talk to us. Put on a black face and go try to get a loan. There is no opportunity for anyone much except the rich. We love to watch these poor black kids play ball but as far as the human side of their lives we don't give a shit.
You have no clue about me, the neighborhood I grew up in, or how many of my best friends I grew up running with are doing LONG prison stints or are dead, so I'll give you a pass.

You also don't know where I worked for almost a decade, the demographic of kids I worked with, or anything else about my life. I've seen stuff most people wouldn't believe. Kids with moldy food in their bookbag they've been trying to save for the weekend when they won't have lunch from school. Kids coming to school in the middle of winter with no coat or shoes.

At the end of the day poverty is still a choice. If you don't think I'm speaking from experience, that's fine. Sometimes you just gotta find a niche, disappear for a while, grind non-stop, then come out the other side.
I absolutely am not judging you at all. i don't do that, i just know that a kid who grows up in the hood comes to bat with 2 strikes against him and once his days with us are over we don't give a shit about him. Not me, not you- US. As a group we don't care nearly enough. It's easier to blame and that is what we do. In my opinion. We should do more. You may see it differently. Certainly don't want to offend anyone but i feel strongly about this.
If people don't care enough about themselves to make changes, why should anybody else? I'm tired of the crap of "well if there was more stuff for them, they wouldn't get in trouble." "It's not their fault, it's their environment." There is no self responsibility anymore. Student loan payments and interest have been postponed for 2 years now, and people are still complaining that they will have to start paying them back. They took these loans out knowing that a loan has to be repaid, but act like it's not their responsibility to pay their debt. Pass it off to the tax payers that have made something of themselves is what they say. Of course some say, "It will change people's lives not to have this debt." I say make them pay it back, I did it in less than 8 years, and I had a lot of it.

Life is about choices. Every day, you wake up and make the choice to get better or get worse, there is no staying the same. Playing victim does nothing to change your situation. Blaming others does nothing to change your situation. At some point you either strap your shoes on tight, put your head down, and work your ass off, or you stay where you are. Opportunities are everywhere, you just have to want it. And I mean really want it, not "oh I want to be rich." I mean want it to the point of doing things that other people won't do. Investing in yourself while everybody else is trying to be social media famous. Telling your friends you can't go out on a Saturday night because you are grinding, hustling, trying to build a better life.

The try getting a loan thing doesn't matter to me. You should be striving to get to a point where you can walk into any deal with the full amount in cash. Nobody is turning down cash for anything. I don't care if its a car, house, boat, private jet, you walk in with cash and nobody cares about anything else. Credit scores don't matter, where you live doesn't matter, your past doesn't matter, trust me.

Thomas Edison said it best, “Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” People don't want to work for what they want, we live in a instant gratification society. It's all about likes on instagram or tiktok, about what everybody else thinks of you. Who cares what anybody else thinks? I live by the motto, "If you want to drive a Rolls Royce, don't take advice from people driving Honda Accords."

greenjewel
Ninety Six Wildcats

Post by greenjewel »

Please, i don't want to get into some pissing contest with you guys over something that is widely known, the fact that impoverished neighborhoods breed violence, i mean, who doesn't understand that as well as understand why? Like i said, it is always easier to point fingers at the oppressed and blame them and that is what we do as a group. Before NAFTA Greenwood was a great place to live with low crime rates and Greenwood Mills plants everywhere. Not anymore. What we saw at the game was a true representation of what the town is becoming. And what changed? The poverty level, that's what changed. And it will only get worse until something is done to reverse it.
As far as student loans go, we must make higher education in America free right away. This is now a serious matter of national security. Our democracy can't survive with an ignorant populous, something we are seeing with our own eyes right now.

bigdog2003
Newberry Bulldogs

Post by bigdog2003 »

greenjewel wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:52 am
Please, i don't want to get into some pissing contest with you guys over something that is widely known, the fact that impoverished neighborhoods breed violence, i mean, who doesn't understand that as well as understand why? Like i said, it is always easier to point fingers at the oppressed and blame them and that is what we do as a group. Before NAFTA Greenwood was a great place to live with low crime rates and Greenwood Mills plants everywhere. Not anymore. What we saw at the game was a true representation of what the town is becoming. And what changed? The poverty level, that's what changed. And it will only get worse until something is done to reverse it.
Of course, but the manufacturing jobs aren't coming back. Plus, people today don't want to work that kind of job. We have some big manufacturing places over here, Samsung has been here a few years now. All I hear from people that have worked there is "they make you work to hard". IT'S A JOB! If I owned a majority company, where would I want to go? Small town America where the work force doesn't want to work hard for the money, or overseas where the people are glad to work for money?

Work ethic just doesn't exist for a lot of people anymore.

greenjewel
Ninety Six Wildcats

Post by greenjewel »

DeCav wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:50 am
greenjewel wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:50 pm
DeCav wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:33 pm
Does your child feel hopeless?

Mine does not. He's light years ahead of where I was at his age. He has already graduated college and will probably open his own small business in a few years.

To wit...

"In September 2018, the United States, Mexico, and Canada reached an agreement to replace NAFTA with the United States–Mexico–Canada Agreement (USMCA), and all three countries had ratified it by March 2020. NAFTA remained in force until USMCA was implemented."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Ame ... mplemented.

The only logical response here would be that it's going to take some time to see the drop in violence at football games. And will the USMCA fix the problem or did we just replace it with a new problem? I can say the USMCA is definitely in place now as it was what I was doing last fall at work, updating our international product lines with the new FTA guidelines.

I noticed you didn't answer two of my questions.

With respect,

When was the last time you ordered a physical object from Amazon?

Who should we vote for?

One other question.

Do you have any studies or links on this theory? I'll dive into them. This is a new idea that I'm just hearing, that NAFTA is to blame for violence at high school football games. I'd like to familiarize myself with this angle.
First, here is your link. https://www.childinthecity.org/2018/11/ ... dpr=accept A child who grows up in poverty is 7 times more likely to be a criminal as an adult. There are hundreds of studies that verify this. Just look at the crime rates in poor neighborhoods. As far as who you should vote for, there is a new 3rd party developing run by Andrew Yang and 2 Republicans. I will be closely watching that. I got an order from Amazon yesterday. The same people who cause violence at ball games also cause violence at many other places, with their homes at the top of the list.

A couple of things here...

You jumped into this thread with this glorious intro...
I, respectfully, disagree with all of you.
Just a guess here, but that attitude probably won't endear you to many members here. The "respectfully" quip doesn't erase the social fart you let in people's faces.

Not surprisingly, it seems you've already managed to step on a few toes. Good luck with that. A lot of the folks you're dismissing have been hoeing this row for 12 years now on the boards. You seem passionate and reasonably respectful. You're not an idiot so I suspect you'll eventually attenuate your settings and get into a state of flow. Either that or you'll flame out. You can dismiss with a wave of your hand every other opinion on this forum but God help you if anyone demonstrates that you're talking out of your ass.

Speaking of which...

I clicked on your link and started to read it. I can only postulate that you ran out in a hurry to google a link that you could post so your claim seemed more credible and substantial. There are at least two compelling reasons for my theory on this and I didn't even finish the first few sentences before the first reason jumped out at me.

Well, ok...three.

Let's see, I asked for an article or study relating NAFTA to violence. What I got was an article that just relates poverty to violence.

Ok, fair enough. I'll read the article that someone posted in response to a thread concerning bad behavior at sporting events. Please keep in mind that the genesis for this discussion was stated quite literally in the opening post, the event at the Greenwood Jamboree.

The article you posted opens with these two sentences...
The study used data from Denmark, however, two of the authors Professor Roger Webb and Dr. Pearl Mok argue that the “results are relevant to the UK, whose population demographics are similar, as is their health system”.
Wow, did you even read the article?? Or did you just copy the link straight off the google home page?

We're discussing anti-social behavior or antagonistic behavior at American high school football games and you can't find a better study than a Danish one where the researchers point out that the Danish social landscape is similar enough to the British social landscape that we can assume the study holds true for Britain? I didn't see anywhere in your link any mention of NAFTA or America.

There are hundreds of studies that verify this.
Maybe next time pick one of the hundreds of studies that relates to OUR hemisphere? I realize I'm splitting hairs here but come on man.

I mean dang dude. You gotta bring it harder than that. I can see how you're passionate about this but I would caution you to slow your roll and pump the breaks a bit. You might come off as a bit careless.

Maybe I should represent your views?

Check it...
"The effect of the NAFTA in crime"
https://ttu-ir.tdl.org/handle/2346/58196

"The Violent Side Effects of NAFTA - America Magazine"
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... q1PUboJ1W2

"The Institutionalizing of NAFTA: 20 Years of Violence and ..."
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 7A5H_JC69w

"Monthly Media Roundup: Violent Crime And NAFTA ... - Forbes"
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... dGS2m79Blq

The fact that I have to do YOUR research to see if your argument holds any water is fairly depressing to me and doesn't give me much confidence in your opinions so far.

Let's get to my 3rd point.

You stated...
Neither party has done squat to reverse NAFTA
Ok, this pretty much disqualifies your comments and opinions from being considered at this point.

The above comment is categorically untrue.

Click the following to be taken to the Wiki page on NAFTA...
The USMCA took effect on July 1, 2020, replacing NAFTA..

The entire article begins with the sentence, "The North American Free Trade Agreement was..." How do you not know this?

We can go back and forth as to the effectiveness of said replacement but what's the point? I can only guess that it's news to you that NAFTA doesn't exist anymore.

Let's see here, here's another blow to your impassioned cry for our country to save entrepreneurs and promote small startups...

You're still buying stuff on Amazon. Honestly, I half expected someone so possessed of the ideology that big business is destroying our country to say something like, "I don't buy products online because they're destroying small business owners." It's kind of like a climate change advocate saying, "Yeah I drive an SUV, why?"

Lastly, I'll just say this. You've already let at least two off-putting racial biases escape in this thread. The admins will let a few things go but talking about the color of someone's skin is poor form.

I hope you understand that I'm just trying to help shape your position and hopefully strengthen it by pointing out its weaknesses.

And keep in mind that feeling strongly about something isn't an excuse to be inaccurate, mistaken, or offensive.

Just ask these ANTIFA mario's. Yes, I'm joking about ANTIFA. I'm sure the Trump base was dead serious on Jan 7th when they came out in full force blaming ANTIFA for dressing up like them.

Only a blind man in South Carolina can't see what poverty has been created by NAFTA. South Carolina has a large number of rural mill towns where the mill has closed and poverty has taken over. Look right here in Greenwood county at Ware Shoals and 96, crime is destroying both as well as Greenwood. Look at Calhoun Falls and Abbeville next door. Look at Joana on the other side. Just drive around and look and you can see for yourself what poverty NAFTA has caused. All of these rural mill towns are now quickly becoming slums, all of them. NAFTA did it.

bigdog2003
Newberry Bulldogs

Post by bigdog2003 »

These small towns have to adapt or die. It's that blunt, the jobs aren't coming back, people aren't moving in to save them. Whitmire lost their only grocery store recently, will that be the death of the community? Now people have to either drive to Newberry, Clinton, or Union to get groceries. Real estate prices will continue to dip as the older people pass away and nobody is rushing to move in.

It's the same all over the state. Does it suck, yes. But nobody is coming to save any of those people. They have to save themselves.

greenjewel
Ninety Six Wildcats

Post by greenjewel »

bigdog2003 wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:52 am
These small towns have to adapt or die. It's that blunt, the jobs aren't coming back, people aren't moving in to save them. Whitmire lost their only grocery store recently, will that be the death of the community? Now people have to either drive to Newberry, Clinton, or Union to get groceries. Real estate prices will continue to dip as the older people pass away and nobody is rushing to move in.

It's the same all over the state. Does it suck, yes. But nobody is coming to save any of those people. They have to save themselves.
In order for them to save themselves there has to be a method, a way for them to do that. I don't know of any way for them to do it. Most of these mill villages are old and the houses are not in good repair, they have nothing to build from.

bigdog2003
Newberry Bulldogs

Post by bigdog2003 »

greenjewel wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:11 pm
bigdog2003 wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:52 am

In order for them to save themselves there has to be a method, a way for them to do that. I don't know of any way for them to do it. Most of these mill villages are old and the houses are not in good repair, they have nothing to build from.
The way they do it is pack up and move. Either that or pray that some person will want to come in and buy houses to fix up the town. But no smart investor is doing that in a town with no jobs, no stores, no anything. Most of these small towns don't have the infrastructure in place even if a investor was interested. Old pipes, bad roads, no high speed internet, not a lot for investors to work with.

You can't just sit in the town talking about the good ole days. Towns have died since the beginning of time, it's nothing new.