Dillon's new football coach

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
1 CAT FAN
Dillon Wildcats

Dillon's new football coach

Post by 1 CAT FAN »

What's the scoop, nastycats1988?

Dillon Herald - Congratulations to Kelvin Roller, the Dillon High School Wildcats New Head Football Coach! See more in Thursday's issue of The Dillon Herald.
https://www.facebook.com/thedillonherald
Dillon Wildcats 08’ 09’ 12’ 13’ 14’ 15’ 17’ State Champions

SCPrepTalk
Site Admin

Re: Dillon's new football coach

Post by SCPrepTalk »

1 CAT FAN
Dillon Wildcats

Post by 1 CAT FAN »

But there’s something special about Dillon High School that always kept him there, he said.

That commitment paid off in a big way Monday as the Dillon School District 4 board approved Roller to be the new football coach of the Wildcats.

Roller, the team’s offensive coordinator since 2011, takes over for Jackie Hayes, who retired in December after 29 years at the helm.

“It’s an exciting feeling and a goal that I’ve had for a long time,” said Roller, who becomes just the fourth Dillon High School football coach since 1969. “I didn’t want to just take any job over the years. This is one of the premier jobs in the state, and we’ve had an awful lot of success here since I’ve been here.

The Wildcats earned a berth in the state championship game for eight consecutive years from 2012 through 2019 with Roller running the offense. Dillon scored at least 500 points and had 10 wins in every one of those seasons as well.

“We try to be balanced on offense and will continue to try to do that,” he said. “We want to be multiple on defense and play hard-nosed defense, and we want to be aggressive and be fundamentally sound on special teams.
Read more here:https://scnow.com/sports/high-school/ro ... 4e2b6.html

While the offense has been fine, the defense has not lived up to the Dillon standard of being "nastycats", too many points were allowed this past season. Special teams has to be addressed too, the 2008 state championship comes to mind, Dillon kicked an extra point to win in Clemson, 7-6. Special teams this past season was horrendous, there's got to be a kicker out there willing to put in the time to be successful.

CITYSLICKER
Berkeley Stags - 669 games and counting

Post by CITYSLICKER »

how do you replace jackie, hayes, cant I see some changes for awhile before there is another coach there
669 STAGS GAMES AND COUNTING

Onion Rings
No Team Affiliation

Post by Onion Rings »

good name..now you can say, new coach has wildcats "rolling"

1 CAT FAN
Dillon Wildcats

Post by 1 CAT FAN »

Berkeley fans all too familiar with special teams woes.

‘We’re never going to punt,’” Cruce said. “He kept at it, but each time I was like we’re never going to punt and we’re never going to kick an extra point.

“I tell the kids your mom, your dad, your grandfather, you’re aunt, no one is going to make me change my mind,” Cruce said.

It’s a philosophy that I’ve thought a lot about. No matter how irritated people get, we won’t change.”
Read more here:https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/w ... b90ba.html

cavaliereagle
Central Eagles. Richland Northeast

Post by cavaliereagle »

1 CAT FAN wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:20 pm
But there’s something special about Dillon High School that always kept him there, he said.

That commitment paid off in a big way Monday as the Dillon School District 4 board approved Roller to be the new football coach of the Wildcats.

Roller, the team’s offensive coordinator since 2011, takes over for Jackie Hayes, who retired in December after 29 years at the helm.

“It’s an exciting feeling and a goal that I’ve had for a long time,” said Roller, who becomes just the fourth Dillon High School football coach since 1969. “I didn’t want to just take any job over the years. This is one of the premier jobs in the state, and we’ve had an awful lot of success here since I’ve been here.

The Wildcats earned a berth in the state championship game for eight consecutive years from 2012 through 2019 with Roller running the offense. Dillon scored at least 500 points and had 10 wins in every one of those seasons as well.

“We try to be balanced on offense and will continue to try to do that,” he said. “We want to be multiple on defense and play hard-nosed defense, and we want to be aggressive and be fundamentally sound on special teams.

While the offense has been fine, the defense has not lived up to the Dillon standard of being "nastycats", too many points were allowed this past season. Special teams has to be addressed too, the 2008 state championship comes to mind, Dillon kicked an extra point to win in Clemson, 7-6. Special teams this past season was horrendous, there's got to be a kicker out there willing to put in the time to be successful.
That 2008 game was a heckuva battle. I remember the play y'all scored on well. I wish we were still on y'alls level.
CENTRAL EAGLES...MAKE PLAYS NOT EXCUSES.

MillHill88
North Central Knights

Post by MillHill88 »

Great hire!!! He's a good man!!
Make High School Football Great Again!

SF Band dad
South Florence Bruins

Post by SF Band dad »

I am glad to see them promote from within. All the luck to Coach Roller and the Wildcats,
....unless they schedule South Florence. :mrgreen:

1 CAT FAN
Dillon Wildcats

Post by 1 CAT FAN »

cavaliereagle wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:36 am
1 CAT FAN wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:20 pm

That 2008 game was a heckuva battle. I remember the play y'all scored on well. I wish we were still on y'alls level.
Central/Dillon were some great championship games. It's tough to keep a program clicking year after year, tremendous effort and all the pieces need to be in place to be successful. Once complacency sets in, things begin to slip. Most Dillon fans don't remember the Lee Segars years ( 1-21 ) probably the worst two years of Dillon's program.

Playing in Clemson really was an exciting special environment for both Central and Dillon. Of all the games, that one stands out.

No way was Dillon going to earn a trip to Clemson.

But that’s exactly where the Wildcats will be when they play Central for the Class 2A state championship Saturday at noon.

“Everyone had kind of written us off,” Hayes said. “But we had a saying on that first day of practice that if we were playing at Clemson on the last day of the season, we’ll say we’ve had a great year.
Read more:https://scnow.com/sports/dillon-proves- ... 7c71f.html