Clover Football coach hype

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
clover fan
Clover Blue Eagles

Clover Football coach hype

Post by clover fan »

I first want to say that I among many others am really glad that we have hired an excellent coach, Chad Smith from Easley HS. It sounds like we are going to have a better season than we've had in the past couple of years. With that being said I just can't believe all of the hype surrounding the upcoming season. Clover has put Coach Smith on a pedestal and alot of people are acting like we are automatically bound for a run at the state title! Don't get me wrong, i would like that just as well as the next clover fan, but on that same note I would be happy to be competitive again and be able to finish close to .500 ball. We, as me and fellow clover fans need to back off Coach Smith and give him some breathing room. Just let the man do his job and I believe Blue Eagle Football will be just fine! Go Blue Eagles!!

SF Band dad
South Florence Bruins

Re: Clover Football coach hype

Post by SF Band dad »

The guys from Easely have had nothing but good things to say about Coach Smith, I'm not surprised to hear that his arrival has brought renewed energy and enthusiasm to your program.

However, any adult that is seriously setting the expectations that high needs to be smacked. Of course your coaches should push their players to strive for excellence and to win every game, but y'all have a long climb ahead of you. Clover is in a tough region, those other teams aren't going to roll-over and play dead, every game will be a dog fiight.

I'm guessing that your week 0 game against South Florence will be getting a lot of attention up there. I know that Clover fans considered SF the softest team on their schedule last year and were genuinely shocked and disappointed with last year's game. I'm hoping that the Blue Eagles don't come into our house this year and return the favor. :?

clover fan
Clover Blue Eagles

Post by clover fan »

Thanks for the feedback SFBD, you sure do some late nite posting! I've also heard nothing but good things about Coach Smith but al;so where theres chemistry between coaches and players at one school might not be there at another, Not saying that will be the case at Clover, just trying to be realistic and trying not to be enthusiastic to the point of fanaticism. Like you said we have a long way to go and I personally don't think that it will happen overnite. I will probably will wind up having some crow with that statement, just don't want things to set up to be a let down. I might be reading too much that is being hyped up. Probably trying to get some of those "missing butts" back in the stands again.

DeCav
Dorman Cavaliers

Post by DeCav »

Clover fan, you wouldn't be willing to pass that wisdom onto Sparty would you? :mrgreen:

Glad to see that your expectations are tempered somewhat. I agree with you completely. Although I always want to see Dorman compete for a title every year, I also believe that life's a journey and not a destination. Some of my best football memories with Dorman occurred during seasons where I couldn't even tell ya what round we exited the playoffs. Happiness is measured in heights not widths. So yeah, it's good enough to know that you can at least show up on Friday night and the other team has to take your seriously.

The good thing about Pro and High School football is that your season arc is all about improvement and peaking at the right time. Best of luck to the Eagles! If they have a rocky start, hopefully they'll improve each week and and be able to enter the post season at full speed.
“Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

clover fan
Clover Blue Eagles

Post by clover fan »

De Cav,
Don't know much about the wisdom part I know you ve heard the old saying, live by the sword, die by the sword and I wish the Cavs good luck this season. And you re right on-the trip for me is as good or better than the destination! You brought up the subject of memories of playoffs and one of the best ones that come to mind is the '09 game with the Cavs! What a great game and also great hosts. Hoping to get back to post season again soon. Good luck to you and Dorman for 2013.
Last edited by clover fan on Thu May 16, 2013 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SF Band dad
South Florence Bruins

Post by SF Band dad »

clover fan wrote:Thanks for the feedback SFBD, you sure do some late nite posting!
Not that late, have you set your time-zone in the Control Panel? I'm not sure where Forumatic's file servers are but I think the software sometimes defaults to GMT. Last night I sent someone a PM and the timestamp said it was 4:30 AM. :lol: