Travelers Rest has hired Devildogs' new head football coach

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
HoodRoad
Powdersville Patriots

Re: Travelers Rest has hired Devildogs' new head football coach

Post by HoodRoad »

[/quote]

By “good run of late”
Do you mean the last 33 years
Let me break it down for ya
2nd most wins of any program in the state in that time
7 state titles and 2 other appearances
21 ten plus win seasons
346-90 in that time
10 nfl players
2 of the top 10 win streaks in the history of this state
Only 1 year of missing playoffs , 1993, that team was preseason #2 overall and went 6-4 after back to back state titles. Lost 3 region games by a combined 15 points
Currently 73-4 over last 6 years
51-1 over last 4

Is that what you call a good run of late?
[/quote]

Hahahahaaaa! Right? With all due respect to Mr. Foldman, TR will not be beating Greer or Seneca. They might scare Seneca but highly doubt they'll beat them. I know all about TR, the town, the transplants, blah, blah, blah...trust me. I know many of those people and several of the kids on the football team and other teams at TR. There's an interesting little cycle in northern Greenville county...most of the traditional Bereans want their kids to go to the TR schools, in turn the TR folks want their kids to go to League and Wade Hampton...so there's kind of a common theme, Berea, TR, Wade Hampton all suck! It's mostly the same caliber athletes just in different uniforms. The town is thriving, it's hip, it's popular, etc. but that's about where it ends. If the new guy comes in and makes them better, so be it. And to the other poster that said for the last 25 yrs TR has had potential...Negative. They've had 3 winning seasons since 1999.

DFOLDMAN
Dutch Fork Silver Foxes

Post by DFOLDMAN »

Ddub14 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 1:20 pm
DFOLDMAN wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 12:27 pm
HoodRoad wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 11:44 am
DFOLDMAN wrote:
Mon May 13, 2024 7:24 am
I think TR has potential. Thriving little town now...has recovered well from the departure of textiles, unlike so many other towns. One of the new favored locations in the Greenville area. I think this is a smart move by that young coach. Look for an improved TR team in the near future. Good luck to him.

Fear The Fox...
Doubtful...with their new region they're most likely to be 3-3 with wins over Berea, Blue Ridge and your beloved Blue Flame. They aren't beating Seneca, DWD or Greer. TR is little Asheville now...not too many hippie kids or kids from the pronoun crowd playing football. You may have a few rec ball legends and some that can't stay out of trouble or in school but that's about it.
I live close by to TR on the South Saluda River not far from Caesars Head...TR is where I get groceries and go out to eat when I feel like it. The thing about TR is young families are moving in there...Greenville has about stopped moving out east and now moving north and west. Newsflash-The kids your referenced are everywhere, not just TR....or Powdersville. Not saying right away, but if he stays and gets the talent on the field...the potential is there.

Several years ago, on a different site when I lived 9000 miles away... doubters laughed at me when I said all then 2-9 Dutch Fork needed was a good coach and they would be a formidable football team- they tried to shame me into a retraction...NOPE...10-3 the first season TK showed up... 8 state titles later. So you never know. Not saying that at all about TR...different dynamics, but better for sure than they are now. Daniel is having a good run of late, but I wouldn't hold my breath on Seneca or Greer over achieving....lol.
Hope that coach does great stuff at TR.

Fear The Fox...
By “good run of late”
21 ten plus win seasons
346-90 in that time
10 nfl players
Only 1 year of missing playoffs , 1993, that team was preseason #2 overall and went 6-4 after back to back state titles. Lost 3 region games by a combined 15 points
51-1 over last 4

...Dub...no need for the complete box set of Six Mile pigskin history..."of late"...meant just that...last 10 years or so-about as far back as my old self can recall clearly...lol. Cut me some slack! Just wanted your take on that coach going to TR... he has had success...just wondering if he can get the buy-in he will need from the students, community, and administration. What say you?

On a separate note...the fact that anyone from Powdersville is commenting on football...just shaking my head.

Fear The Fox...

Ddub14
Daniel Lions

Post by Ddub14 »

DFOLDMAN wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 12:08 pm
Ddub14 wrote:
DFOLDMAN wrote:
HoodRoad wrote:
DFOLDMAN wrote:
I think TR has potential. Thriving little town now...has recovered well from the departure of textiles, unlike so many other towns. One of the new favored locations in the Greenville area. I think this is a smart move by that young coach. Look for an improved TR team in the near future. Good luck to him.

Fear The Fox...
Doubtful...with their new region they're most likely to be 3-3 with wins over Berea, Blue Ridge and your beloved Blue Flame. They aren't beating Seneca, DWD or Greer. TR is little Asheville now...not too many hippie kids or kids from the pronoun crowd playing football. You may have a few rec ball legends and some that can't stay out of trouble or in school but that's about it.
I live close by to TR on the South Saluda River not far from Caesars Head...TR is where I get groceries and go out to eat when I feel like it. The thing about TR is young families are moving in there...Greenville has about stopped moving out east and now moving north and west. Newsflash-The kids your referenced are everywhere, not just TR....or Powdersville. Not saying right away, but if he stays and gets the talent on the field...the potential is there.

Several years ago, on a different site when I lived 9000 miles away... doubters laughed at me when I said all then 2-9 Dutch Fork needed was a good coach and they would be a formidable football team- they tried to shame me into a retraction...NOPE...10-3 the first season TK showed up... 8 state titles later. So you never know. Not saying that at all about TR...different dynamics, but better for sure than they are now. Daniel is having a good run of late, but I wouldn't hold my breath on Seneca or Greer over achieving....lol.

Fear The Fox...
By “good run of late”
21 ten plus win seasons
346-90 in that time
10 nfl players
51-1 over last 4

...Dub...no need for the complete box set of Six Mile pigskin history..."of late"...meant just that...last 10 years or so-about as far back as my old self can recall clearly...lol. Cut me some slack! Just wanted your take on that coach going to TR... he has had success...just wondering if he can get the buy-in he will need from the students, community, and administration. What say you?

On a separate note...the fact that anyone from Powdersville is commenting on football...just shaking my head.

Fear The Fox...
I really don’t understand why the coach at st Joe’s left.
Maybe he was tired of being 3rd fiddle to cc and SSC. Maybe he didn’t think they could compete adequately st the 3a level. But just like HR said Tr isn’t it athletics wise. He will have a harder time in 4A there than at 3a with sj. He’s also right about the Berea to tr to Wade thing. But most of the kids that come from TR are not the athletes. That’s more of a better education type thing. The way of Greenville county athletics now though is JLMann and then agree the tying the best 2-4 players off of all of these teams including Southside Carolina woodmont eastside as well. Powdersville has been a beneficiary of this as well.
All that being said unless he can recruit and develop he will be lucky to be a .500 coach there.

I know of two kids at Wade that were good players on a poorly coached team , and I witnessed it live, I mean bad and with no caring, both are going to Mann next year and will be factors on that team.

The qb at westside is supposed to be at eastside and the Tyler brown kid that went to Clemson from Greenville was as well. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg. The club soccer and aau basketball make the football shenanigans look like a walk in the park.

DFOLDMAN
Dutch Fork Silver Foxes

Post by DFOLDMAN »

Ddub14 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 1:17 pm
DFOLDMAN wrote:
Fri May 17, 2024 12:08 pm
Ddub14 wrote:
DFOLDMAN wrote:
HoodRoad wrote:
DFOLDMAN wrote:

Fear The Fox...

Fear The Fox...
By “good run of late”
21 ten plus win seasons
346-90 in that time
10 nfl players
51-1 over last 4

Fear The Fox...
I really don’t understand why the coach at st Joe’s left.
Maybe he was tired of being 3rd fiddle to cc and SSC. Maybe he didn’t think they could compete adequately st the 3a level. But just like HR said Tr isn’t it athletics wise. He will have a harder time in 4A there than at 3a with sj. He’s also right about the Berea to tr to Wade thing. But most of the kids that come from TR are not the athletes. That’s more of a better education type thing. The way of Greenville county athletics now though is JLMann and then agree the tying the best 2-4 players off of all of these teams including Southside Carolina woodmont eastside as well. Powdersville has been a beneficiary of this as well.
All that being said unless he can recruit and develop he will be lucky to be a .500 coach there.

I know of two kids at Wade that were good players on a poorly coached team , and I witnessed it live, I mean bad and with no caring, both are going to Mann next year and will be factors on that team.

The qb at westside is supposed to be at eastside and the Tyler brown kid that went to Clemson from Greenville was as well. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg. The club soccer and aau basketball make the football shenanigans look like a walk in the park.
I am curious to see what he can do if anything. I am up there in TR more and more lately, and thought that was a bit of unusual move myself. Cool little town....sadly, Pickens didn't take a page from TR's gentrification playbook....won't even go to Pickens anymore...like so many cotton mill towns that didn't have a plan B...fentanyl and meth, apparently is plan B...ugh.

Have to see what that new coach at TR can do...wish him well...

Take care, Cousin Dub!

Fear The Fox...

No Fly Zone
Emerald Vikings

Post by No Fly Zone »

That has to be one of the most random and ridiculous reasons to be interested in a job

"I like the mascot"

Well buddy, get ready to learn how get by winning 3 games a season

Wildstallion2
South Pointe Stallions

Post by Wildstallion2 »

Travelers Rest last season game is against South Pointe, Capital L.

Blister
No Team Affiliation

Post by Blister »

Should be a big L for TR, but at the same time SP doesn’t strike the same fear into hearts as they used too. SP has so many athletes they are going to win their share just by rolling the balls out. But still confused by hiring a man that ran what was a good Marlboro County program, left by Dean Boyd, directly into the ground.