SCHSL Enacts Multiplier / Realignment

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
7timechamps
Daniel Lions

SCHSL Enacts Multiplier / Realignment

Post by 7timechamps »

SCHSL has established a 3x multiplier for out of attendance zone kids to combat “competitive balance” aka private and charter schools in lower classifications.

I did not realize these private and charter schools had “zones,” but apparently they do even though before this they were arbitrary. For instance, Southside Christian’s zone is technically the JL Mann attendance zone, even though 70% of their students aren’t from this zone.

This multiplier is going to shake some things up for the upcoming realignment!
8 Time Champs Now! Go Lions!

HoodRoad
Powdersville Patriots

Re: SCHSL Enacts Multiplier / Realignment

Post by HoodRoad »

7timechamps wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:41 am
SCHSL has established a 3x multiplier for out of attendance zone kids to combat “competitive balance” aka private and charter schools in lower classifications.

I did not realize these private and charter schools had “zones,” but apparently they do even though before this they were arbitrary. For instance, Southside Christian’s zone is technically the JL Mann attendance zone, even though 70% of their students aren’t from this zone.

This multiplier is going to shake some things up for the upcoming realignment!
Yes, they have alleged zones. One of the parents from OCA explained to me that you have to have started 9th grade at their school to be eligible or have a bonafide change of physical address. It's all muddy, public & charter. Private schools are the same as well but I disagree with them. If I want to move my son to CCES, SJCS or SCS today so he can play next year it should be allowed because I am willingly paying for him to change schools. Private = it's my business what I do with my kid and my money.

ShivaBlast
No Team Affiliation

Post by ShivaBlast »

No argument here about the private schools. You pay your money, your kid should be able to play immediately. The problem is that half these superstar athletes that these schools are getting are on some form of tuition assistance or tuition forgiveness. They're not paying: they're being brought in specifically for sports.

You truly think it's fair that a machine like Christ Church gets to play their region match-ups against teams like Ware Shoals and Dixie? Just because they have low admission numbers? It makes a difference when those low numbers are hand-picked and paid-in-full.

FootballFan59
No Team Affiliation

Post by FootballFan59 »

Most traditional high schools have about 20-25% of their student body population that participate in athletics. So a school of 1600 students on average have about 400 students that participate in athletics. A school like the new MVP that will open in Spartanburg just stated that they are hoping to have about 1000 students with a 60-40% split between athletes and non athletes. So 600 students in that school will be athletes compared to a school that has 600 more students total and only has 400 on average. This is why they need to be moved in a classification that they have a similar number of athletes that are making up the number of their students.

For argument sake lets just say a 2a school that has about 500 students, if you take the number of athletes at 40% for a traditional school that brings it to 200 students participating in athletics for that traditional school. They can not choose their students, they have to keep the students enrolled at their school and have to accommodate everything under the sun. At these charter schools, they can dismiss a student after one infraction and send them back to their original school. They also would have 300 student athletes that they can choose from the same number of 500 enrolled students. But they can control their student population so it is not the same.

Does no one find it funny that the charter schools representative used the argument of competitive imbalance when telling the committee that they would not support a separate playoff bracket and travel costs was also another major factor for the charter schools???

The problem with the charters are they are able to circumvent some rules that traditional high schools have to abide by. I also want to know why these charter schools do not send out their flyers to sign up for their lottery systems to every student in and around their areas? Why are they only getting sent to the students that compete in athletics for traditional middle schools? Why are the coaches coming to middle school games and trying to talk to middle school students after middle school games? If you say this doesn't happen you are lying to yourself, if you say traditional schools do this all the time you are lying to yourself as well.

HoodRoad
Powdersville Patriots

Post by HoodRoad »

FootballFan59 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:36 am
Most traditional high schools have about 20-25% of their student body population that participate in athletics. So a school of 1600 students on average have about 400 students that participate in athletics. A school like the new MVP that will open in Spartanburg just stated that they are hoping to have about 1000 students with a 60-40% split between athletes and non athletes. So 600 students in that school will be athletes compared to a school that has 600 more students total and only has 400 on average. This is why they need to be moved in a classification that they have a similar number of athletes that are making up the number of their students.

For argument sake lets just say a 2a school that has about 500 students, if you take the number of athletes at 40% for a traditional school that brings it to 200 students participating in athletics for that traditional school. They can not choose their students, they have to keep the students enrolled at their school and have to accommodate everything under the sun. At these charter schools, they can dismiss a student after one infraction and send them back to their original school. They also would have 300 student athletes that they can choose from the same number of 500 enrolled students. But they can control their student population so it is not the same.

Does no one find it funny that the charter schools representative used the argument of competitive imbalance when telling the committee that they would not support a separate playoff bracket and travel costs was also another major factor for the charter schools???

The problem with the charters are they are able to circumvent some rules that traditional high schools have to abide by. I also want to know why these charter schools do not send out their flyers to sign up for their lottery systems to every student in and around their areas? Why are they only getting sent to the students that compete in athletics for traditional middle schools? Why are the coaches coming to middle school games and trying to talk to middle school students after middle school games? If you say this doesn't happen you are lying to yourself, if you say traditional schools do this all the time you are lying to yourself as well.
You sir, make too much sense! Kudos to your response. That's about the best way you can put it. I still say all this nonsense came up so fervently due to basketball esp at GCA. Once they started embarrassing teams and the fans were basically beating their chest like "what you gonna do?" people ramped up their beef with them and all charter and private schools. I had a charter guy argue that their team numbers are lower but that doesn't matter. If school A has a limited number of athletes that are worthy of playing time it's totally different if school B has 2, 3, 4, 5, etc. of everyone else's better or best players combined to 1 team. I saw a quote during Bball that summed it up...it was along these lines "man we ain't got but 1 6'7 kid in our whole community, GCA got 3 or 4."

HoodRoad
Powdersville Patriots

Post by HoodRoad »

ShivaBlast wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:40 am
No argument here about the private schools. You pay your money, your kid should be able to play immediately. The problem is that half these superstar athletes that these schools are getting are on some form of tuition assistance or tuition forgiveness. They're not paying: they're being brought in specifically for sports.

You truly think it's fair that a machine like Christ Church gets to play their region match-ups against teams like Ware Shoals and Dixie? Just because they have low admission numbers? It makes a difference when those low numbers are hand-picked and paid-in-full.
Trust me I know all about the private schools. I know one that touts over half of all their students are on some kind of assistance. But, I also know of another that doesn't have as many that need any kind of aid as most think they do. The parents have the resources for additional training, instruction, etc. I'm not naming either, if you know, you know. Both the schools do however have good coaches that were allowed to hand pick their staff. Some of these coaches are very experienced and they don't have to be in the building. Good coaching says a lot about your program.

SF Band dad
South Florence Bruins

Post by SF Band dad »

I wonder if they will post the final, adjusted and allocated ADM numbers this cycle? In the last realignment, they just published the proposed classifications and regions, but not the numbers that were used to make decisions.

The addition of a multiplier for out-of-zone students will make the process even less transparent, unless they put out the numbers and how they were arrived at.

mikey
Gaffney Indians

Post by mikey »

SF Band dad wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:59 pm
I wonder if they will post the final, adjusted and allocated ADM numbers this cycle? In the last realignment, they just published the proposed classifications and regions, but not the numbers that were used to make decisions.

The addition of a multiplier for out-of-zone students will make the process even less transparent, unless they put out the numbers and how they were arrived at.
I would like to see the last numbers that were released..it is probably here somewhere,but I wouldn’t have a clue where to look..

Tiger84
Conway Tigers

Post by Tiger84 »

mikey
Gaffney Indians

Post by mikey »

Thank you ,but a little more information than this tiny brain can decipher…there was a list by school here one time that had it posted from Dorman/Wando largest to the smallest with the cut off at each classification…