Greenwood @ Northwestern (round two)

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
GwoodEagle2k1
Greenwood Eagles

Greenwood @ Northwestern (round two)

Post by GwoodEagle2k1 »

Welp ..... It is what it is as some have said on here lol. Hopefully the kids play hard and make it a game. Go Eagles.
By the way, Liner said on the coaches show last week that he was starting to install and implement changes on offense to the spread going forward to develop more explosive plays and a vertical passing attack. Probably for next year. So that should satisfy to some extent some of our (the fans) concerns. Hopefully it works out.

96fanatic
Ninety Six Wildcats

Re: Greenwood @ Northwestern (round two)

Post by 96fanatic »

It seems to me that not just Greenwood
but a lot of Teams don't emphasize defense
any more but depend on the offense to carry
the team.use to be coaches would talk and
stress that the defense would win the big games.
just my opinion.I am pulling for Greenwood.
GO GET'EM EAGLES.

sparked_up
Northwestern Trojans

Post by sparked_up »

Someone needs to pull for Northwestern, so I will.

The defense has continued to improve. Speed has always been there, run game defense has vastly improved with Southpointe and Catawba Ridge games. The intrigue will be how quickly they adjust to the option game.

If Northwestern has an average night on offense they will score a lot of points. Greenwood better score every possession to stay in the game.

eagle93
Greenwood Eagles

Post by eagle93 »

GwoodEagle2k1 wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:03 am
Welp ..... It is what it is as some have said on here lol. Hopefully the kids play hard and make it a game. Go Eagles.
By the way, Liner said on the coaches show last week that he was starting to install and implement changes on offense to the spread going forward to develop more explosive plays and a vertical passing attack. Probably for next year. So that should satisfy to some extent some of our (the fans) concerns. Hopefully it works out.
I was just saying mix up the offensive sets and try to find more balance. No way should we not have kids that can't pass competently with the way the game is today. The run and pass should complement each other, keeping defenses honest. I would be on board with donating to send our kids to QB camps etc. Back on topic about this game. On paper it isn't a good match up. But crazier things have happened. Are they even playing on Friday with the weather prediction? Some schools have moved their games up.

trojangrad78
Northwestern Trojans

Post by trojangrad78 »

Greenwood's offense cannot simulate/recreate Northwestern's offense so Greenwood's defense cannot practice against what they will see in the game and this year, I don't think Greenwood's defense has seen an offense with the explosive passing game Northwestern puts on the field. Northwestern's passing gets the headlines, but their offense is actually pretty balanced and they certainly possess a running game.

Northwestern's young defense has been getting better every week, especially their rushing defense. It may take a few possessions to see Greenwood's offense, but defending Greenwood's basically one-dimensional rushing offense is easier than defending a balanced offense.

On offense, Greenwood will need to successfully sustain long drives and on defense, limit Northwestern's possessions to have the greatest chance of an upset. I don't see Greenwood being able to do either consistently.

Northwestern needs to avoid penalties and mistakes early.

If Northwestern can quickly put two touchdowns on the board, it will probably be a long night for Greenwood.

sparked_up
Northwestern Trojans

Post by sparked_up »

GAME HAS MOVED TO 2:00 Saturday at D3.

StateChampsGHS
Greenwood Eagles

Post by StateChampsGHS »

On paper, Northwestern should win this game but the game is played on the field. Hopefully, Greenwood will play up and upset Northwestern to advance in the playoffs. I guess we will see Saturday.
Greenwood High Eagles 2012

StateChampsGHS
Greenwood Eagles

Post by StateChampsGHS »

Greenwood definitely need to play lights out defense. They got to fly to the ball quickly and tackle in space. Also, they got to come off blocks quickly and go to the ball. Stop all that ball watching!

Greenwood need to look at this YouTube highlights and play physical: WHO IS THE KING OF ROCK HILL?!?! | #3 Northwestern Trojans vs #5 South Pointe Stallions!!! | FNL
Greenwood High Eagles 2012

sparked_up
Northwestern Trojans

Post by sparked_up »

Great video. SP played what I believe is their most complete and intense game of the year in this rivalry game. DJ Barksdale may be the best football player in the state. What I like best is the scoreboard at the end. They brought their best effort and the Trojans turned it over way more than usual and still had a commanding lead. Unless you are really good you don’t win with 4 turnovers..

Redraider66
Greenville Red Raiders

Post by Redraider66 »

96fanatic wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:06 am
It seems to me that not just Greenwood
but a lot of Teams don't emphasize defense
any more but depend on the offense to carry
the team.use to be coaches would talk and
stress that the defense would win the big games.
just my opinion.I am pulling for Greenwood.
GO GET'EM EAGLES.
Because now days offense wins the big games... its hard to have a mediocre offense and a really good defense and win