Non-Football, Non-Covid Rant

Things that get off topic.
*No Politics please.
DFOLDMAN
Dutch Fork Silver Foxes

Non-Football, Non-Covid Rant

Post by DFOLDMAN »

I gotta vent....I spent 12 years working abroad for USASOC and US Department of State running counter-terrorism, counter-insurgency, stabilization, and rule of law projects in Iraq and Afghanistan. I was trained in asymmetrical warfare at the John F Kennedy Special Warfare Center at Fort Bragg and the US Department of State's Foreign Area Counter Terrorism School at the O'Gara Compound...I lived and worked in Afghanistan for 9 of those years... blood, sweat, tears, and countless hours of work - running operations all over Afghanistan in particular in Kandahar, Helmand and Kabul. I did some good things, and admittedly I did some horrible things and endured horrible things but also witnessed the good side of that nation. The kindness, hospitality and friendship of those Afghans (well, not ISIS, the Haqqani Network and a good portion of the Taliban) was deeply appreciated.

After being shot at, bombed, IEDed, rocketed, and mortared periodically for those 9 years...shedding blood in service of my nation...to see the complete abandonment of what we accomplished be dismissed by politicians feels me with anger, sadness and embarrassment. Beyond comprehension...l am sad today knowing what is coming to those left behind.

Fortfor5
Fort Dorchester Patriots

Re: Non-Football, Non-Covid Rant

Post by Fortfor5 »

My pops was a ranger .lotta leftovers from battle
Ty for your service .
Still have a chute and poncho .he kept.

Penguin
Beaufort Eagles

Post by Penguin »

DFOLDMAN wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:53 pm
I gotta vent....I spent 12 years working abroad for USASOC and US Department of State running counter-terrorism, counter-insurgency, stabilization, and rule of law projects in Iraq and Afghanistan. I was trained in asymmetrical warfare at the John F Kennedy Special Warfare Center at Fort Bragg and the US Department of State's Foreign Area Counter Terrorism School at the O'Gara Compound...I lived and worked in Afghanistan for 9 of those years... blood, sweat, tears, and countless hours of work - running operations all over Afghanistan in particular in Kandahar, Helmand and Kabul. I did some good things, and admittedly I did some horrible things and endured horrible things but also witnessed the good side of that nation. The kindness, hospitality and friendship of those Afghans (well, not ISIS, the Haqqani Network and a good portion of the Taliban) was deeply appreciated.

After being shot at, bombed, IEDed, rocketed, and mortared periodically for those 9 years...shedding blood in service of my nation...to see the complete abandonment of what we accomplished be dismissed by politicians feels me with anger, sadness and embarrassment. Beyond comprehension...l am sad today knowing what is coming to those left behind.
Your service to our country is admirable and above reproach. Much appreciation for your years of service.

That all said, as for our involvement in Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Viet-Nam, Korea, and other lesser known countries, there are important lessons to be learned. The United States has become a biased and maniacal military force, misused and the source of a lot of hatred and evil pointed at our country. This is not the fault of the fighting men and women who have given so much for their country, but the fault of our Legislative and Executive branches of government who have been bought and paid for by the defense industry. Our country has become a War monger. The unfathomable amounts of unnecessary monies spent in foreign countries is the most indefensible act in the history of mankind. Allowing our own citizens to be homeless, sickly, hungry, and deprived of any reasonable standard of living, while spending Trillions of senseless dollars annually on policing actions or outright war, is despicable at best.

I am not blaming political parties nor polical positions, I am blaming politicians.......one and all. If the defense of this country was the primary objective of our defense spending, then we would be spending some of those dollars on propping up the standard of living in the countries that are our closest neighbors, defeating the attraction of illegal immigration and securing our country rather than by making more and more enemies by the day.

Money helps politicians get elected, and re-elected. Defense contractors are some of the biggest political contributors, and as long as they have control of the purse strings of the politicians, the political decisions will remain the same. I was born in 1957, and I cannot remember a single day in my lifetime, when we were not either policing or fighting against, citizens of countries other than our own. We are Imperialistc War mongers. And that seems to just be the accepted fact.
The "Godfather" didn't whine like The "Slobfather" is doing, when he got INDICTED!!!!!

DFOLDMAN
Dutch Fork Silver Foxes

Post by DFOLDMAN »

There is an old saying, everything that comes before words or phrases such as "However", or "That being said.." is bull shit. I can say a lot, but this is a football site, not a world view site- so I'll be brief. I apologize for the original post if some find it disagreeable or makes them uncomfortable.

We live in a global economy and are a global leader and that comes with responsibility...sometimes, you have to do the dirty work. Also, I don't have a lot of sympathy for self inflicted wounds and taking care of the truly vulnerable is our responsibility as a Christian nation- a large portion of homelessness is due to substance abuse...self inflicted wound. Addicts are selfish; they care more about how a drug makes them feel at that moment than their families, friends or their responsibilities to society (a recovering addicts words, not mine).

What we consider a "reasonable standard of living" is luxury to most. Live and work in a developing country for a few years and you would have a different perspective. I've lived a Kipling story. Most folk in this country have no idea...sheltered and blessed beyond reason.

We can agree to disagree....the great thing about America, but very, very soon the children of Afghanistan won't have that luxury again. Yes, some of what we've done may have been for the wrong reasons, but the majority of what America has done...is right, and good. In spite of what CNN and MSNBC state- easily spouted from their anchor chairs. Leaving Afghanistan to self-destruct is not "good or right"...I have a lot I want to say, but I'll say no more on this. Think what you want to think...you can, it's America.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."- Orwell

Fear The Fox

Penguin
Beaufort Eagles

Post by Penguin »

Caring more about the children in Afghanistan than the children held in cages in this country tells me all that I need to know. In our society, taking care of ourselves is always our top priority. While it is most admirable to try to take care of others, those at home MUST come first. As for Afghanistan, some history of the place may be of great assistance in forming a real understanding of it. First, the Persions. Then the British. Along came the Russians. And they are still laughing at us for watching but not comprehending.

Trying to blame victims for their plight is so wrong. Instead of throwing rocks at them, perhaps a helping hand to raise them up might prove a better option. We will never know because this country is full of opportunistic grifters whose only desire, is to have more people to be better than.

AND...MOST IMPORTANTLY, America is not now, never has been, nor never will be, a xstian nation. It was founded by those fleeing those chains and bindings. Facts, they do matter to the educated.
The "Godfather" didn't whine like The "Slobfather" is doing, when he got INDICTED!!!!!

Ddub14
Daniel Lions

Post by Ddub14 »

DFoldman thank you for your service . Period. I had a father in law that was retired Air Force . An uncle that was a Army Tank commander in Korea and Vietnam. My best friend is a retired marine (3 tours) . My Grandfather fought in the navy in WWII in the pacific. In no way can I understand what any of these men went through. But I will say thank God that they did what they did where they did it, so that we didn’t have to do it here. My Grandfather used to say to me as a young child talking about the Japanese. Never let those heartless SOB ‘s over here or it will be the end of America. That was the early 80s. I got a question for those that think America is this terrible evil place. Name one country on this earth that is better and done more for mankind . Name one with proof . You won’t. We live like kings and queens in this country . We have ac and heat , running water and groceries at our fingertips. We have transportation, freedom to come and go as we please. God given born into rights. Yet some people think this is such a terrible country as their on their internet ( thanks America) on a sports forum board .
So please before anyone goes on some diatribe about the military industrial complex and the welfare and rights of indigenous people who need a hand up . Do us all a favor ,get out of your sand box travel to these places you claim to care about and set up shop there for awhile. See how your welcomed and then when and if you return tell us all how that went and what you think of the Greatest country on earth .

SF Band dad
South Florence Bruins

Post by SF Band dad »

DFOLDMAN,
Thank you for your service. My military service in the Navy (83'-93') was a lot less eventful then yours.

Fortfor5
Fort Dorchester Patriots

Post by Fortfor5 »

DFOLDMAN wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:47 pm
There is an old saying, everything that comes before words or phrases such as "However", or "That being said.." is bull shit. I can say a lot, but this is a football site, not a world view site- so I'll be brief. I apologize for the original post if some find it disagreeable or makes them uncomfortable.

We live in a global economy and are a global leader and that comes with responsibility...sometimes, you have to do the dirty work. Also, I don't have a lot of sympathy for self inflicted wounds and taking care of the truly vulnerable is our responsibility as a Christian nation- a large portion of homelessness is due to substance abuse...self inflicted wound. Addicts are selfish; they care more about how a drug makes them feel at that moment than their families, friends or their responsibilities to society (a recovering addicts words, not mine).

What we consider a "reasonable standard of living" is luxury to most. Live and work in a developing country for a few years and you would have a different perspective. I've lived a Kipling story. Most folk in this country have no idea...sheltered and blessed beyond reason.

We can agree to disagree....the great thing about America, but very, very soon the children of Afghanistan won't have that luxury again. Yes, some of what we've done may have been for the wrong reasons, but the majority of what America has done...is right, and good. In spite of what CNN and MSNBC state- easily spouted from their anchor chairs. Leaving Afghanistan to self-destruct is not "good or right"...I have a lot I want to say, but I'll say no more on this. Think what you want to think...you can, it's America.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."- Orwell

Fear The Fox
I have handled the shipped back tacomas and other vehichles from over there.as well as shipped equipment.

The amount of of damage ti those vehichles is unimaginable. I still dont know how the occupants survived
Much less why they returned .instad of just dismantled
And cannibalized and scraped .
Mounts for 50s or other hardware on toyota trucks .
Riddled with holes and larger fist sized or larger rips .
The average person doesn't see.
No i didnt look inside .didnt really want to know.

Weve shrink wrapped all kinds of helicopters
With platforms i really didnt think would go on them.not seen on discovery Chanel To send over .

The really good shit comes with a tarp or totally inclosed and two marines or more guarding it.
Had a 50 pointed at me back in the 90s .until they realized
I was there to operate equipment to load .3 am it woke me up. At that moment the job wasnt worth the money .but whatever .

We do stuff all over noone hears about right or wrong aint up to me . Im sure we have counter insurgency ops in Africa.from the equipment we have sent .

Fortfor5
Fort Dorchester Patriots

Post by Fortfor5 »

Just saw a video of people trying to hold on to c17s
Falling from the air i mean a few 1000 feet to thier demise smh

1 CAT FAN
Dillon Wildcats

Post by 1 CAT FAN »

The Covid virus certainly has not affected the Taliban, they saw a departure and seized the opportunity quickly. The Taliban doesn't have to concern itself with the destruction of the United States though, we're doing a good enough job of that on our own.
Dillon Wildcats 08’ 09’ 12’ 13’ 14’ 15’ 17’ State Champions