Things that get off topic.
*No Politics please.
Fortfor5
Fort Dorchester Patriots

Re: year round school

Post by Fortfor5 »

Anybody jobs dont typically pay well.if any body can do it
There is no demand .
Want jobs require skill and jard labor which demand high pay.
If your eating boogers and playing on your phonre at the drive through is your work wirth 15 a hr . No

As for medicine .big pharma doesnt make money from healthy people ...i leave it at that.
I dont like foriegn aid .until our people are taken care of.

Id love to go to a flat or consumption tax . No tax returns
For your average citizen .

CoachC61
No Team Affiliation

Post by CoachC61 »

Penguin,

Never did I say that people struggling was the American way! I believe the American way is people busting their butts to work hard to be successful. I know there are people in this world that does everything they can to keep others down and those people need to be set straight. Everyone deserves a chance but you cant keep giving hand outs because unfortunately people abuse the system and take advantage of it. We must educate and give the citizens of our country the skills necessary to be successful. I'm a teacher going on 28 years now and I have seen the abuse of government and misuse of funds. Teachers are the ones education those who are making the millions and when we try to get our piece of the pie the government turns a blind eye. Since when have you see a teacher become rich teaching in public education? My grandparents worked hard, my parents worked hard and I've been taught to work hard to get what I earn. I've had struggles and I have found ways to overcome them. Does our government waste billions of dollars heck yes they do but a majority of the people are the reason it keeps happening because we keep re-electing them!! If you keep giving handouts, people become dependent and the givers gain more power over them because they feel they need them to survive when they don't.

Colbyc36
Byrnes Rebels

Post by Colbyc36 »

I would say, just by observation....that Penguin is in the minority with his opinion concerning this. Look around Penguin...or trot on over to CNN
Furthermore your comment about 1940 and your perception of that generations work ethic is nothing short of APPALLING. That generation afforded you the ability to sit in your darkened, air conditioned room and post the crap you spew.
Last edited by Colbyc36 on Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"We opened the door to everyone. Its over."
-Tom Knotts

Fortfor5
Fort Dorchester Patriots

Post by Fortfor5 »

CoachC61 wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:02 pm
Penguin,

Never did I say that people struggling was the American way! I believe the American way is people busting their butts to work hard to be successful. I know there are people in this world that does everything they can to keep others down and those people need to be set straight. Everyone deserves a chance but you cant keep giving hand outs because unfortunately people abuse the system and take advantage of it. We must educate and give the citizens of our country the skills necessary to be successful. I'm a teacher going on 28 years now and I have seen the abuse of government and misuse of funds. Teachers are the ones education those who are making the millions and when we try to get our piece of the pie the government turns a blind eye. Since when have you see a teacher become rich teaching in public education? My grandparents worked hard, my parents worked hard and I've been taught to work hard to get what I earn. I've had struggles and I have found ways to overcome them. Does our government waste billions of dollars heck yes they do but a majority of the people are the reason it keeps happening because we keep re-electing them!! If you keep giving handouts, people become dependent and the givers gain more power over them because they feel they need them to survive when they don't.
Yall sure are underpaid. Especially with your 3 highest years
Being your retirement.
My cousin is a exanple of government handouts .
That hog (yeah shes a huge bitch)wont work lives on welfare her momma tbe same way absolutely sickening. Its generational .
Games the system.
I get her a book about some kind of job or starting your own company every xmas .
Shr asks why i say my taxes already feed you.

Damefan
No Team Affiliation

Post by Damefan »

I talked with a daughter who will be teaching in one of the counties that has the year around program next year and she stated that the overall response from her peers is that they are excited but it has been received by the parents basically 50/50 depending on who you asked.

In reference to the wage issue, I will share what my father and grandfather shared with me a long time ago. If you make every effort to live on 50% of what you make and save the difference you will always have money. You may not live lavishly but you will live comfortably depending on your priorities. Obviously, you can't do this all the time but the goal is to make the effort. The problem my kids share with me about their friends is that their friends want what their parents have NOW! They don't understand and realize that it took their parents years to acquire the things they got. My dad was the sole provider, mom never worked and there were 3 kids in my family. We learned to do without, but we had 2 cars, a roof over our head, food on the table, and played all kinds of sports. Kids today EXPECT too much!!

Penguin
Beaufort Eagles

Post by Penguin »

CoachC61 wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:02 pm
Penguin,

Everyone deserves a chance but you cant keep giving hand outs because unfortunately people abuse the system and take advantage of it.
So helping those in need is bad, but all of the corporate subsidies and tax breaks are ok? The Trillions of dollars given to the military annually without requiring an accounting of it? The Billions given to Isreal so that thier country is afforded luxuries that our country does not have? No sir, our country should be taking care of Americans in need, not giving unaccounted for Trillions of dollars to the wealthiest citizens and foreign countries.

I could, and would, agree with some of what you are saying if this country had an even playing field, and EVERYONE was afforded a lifestyle whereby they had free public education, were paid a living wage in return for their labor, access to free healthcare, and as in Alaska, were paid an annual stipend for the use of our natural resources by corporations and giant business entities. (Oil, Gas, Minerals, Mining, etc.) Those resources belong to America, it's citizens, not it's government.
The "Godfather" didn't whine like The "Slobfather" is doing, when he got INDICTED!!!!!

CoachC61
No Team Affiliation

Post by CoachC61 »

Penguin,
Quit trying to twist my words. I never said helping those in need was bad. In fact I believe I was talking about the exact opposite giving everyone the skills necessary to be successful and to give them a hand up to help them get on their feet and live a good life. The health care industry is broken and definitely need to be overhauled, it can never be free somebody will always be paying for it.

Penguin
Beaufort Eagles

Post by Penguin »

CoachC61 wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:21 am
Penguin,
Quit trying to twist my words. I never said helping those in need was bad. In fact I believe I was talking about the exact opposite giving everyone the skills necessary to be successful and to give them a hand up to help them get on their feet and live a good life. The health care industry is broken and definitely need to be overhauled, it can never be free somebody will always be paying for it.
I most certainly was not twisting your words. You said that we cannot continue with government handouts to those in need, but you failede to meantion where 90 percent of government handouts go.........to corporations, big business, the defense industry, and foreign governments. Your implications were that those most in need must suffer while those crapping in golden toilets should get government handouts.

I have heard all about these "low paying" jobs and how those working them should strive to do better. Who would collect your garbage, sweep your streets, pick your produce, wash your dishes, do your laundry, should all of those people "move on up"? I person doing the simplest of jobs is essential to our country in one way or another, and should be supplied a living wage for doing so. If that means adjusting the wage scale from top to bottom, so be it. But when a person dedicates their time and effort to perform those jobs, they deserve just compensation and should not have to be on food stamps and welfare while working a full time job.
The "Godfather" didn't whine like The "Slobfather" is doing, when he got INDICTED!!!!!

Colbyc36
Byrnes Rebels

Post by Colbyc36 »

Penguin wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:40 pm
CoachC61 wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:21 am
Penguin,
I most certainly was not twisting your words. You said that we cannot continue with government handouts to those in need, but you failede to meantion where 90 percent of government handouts go.........to corporations, big business, the defense industry, and foreign governments. Your implications were that those most in need must suffer while those crapping in golden toilets should get government handouts.

I have heard all about these "low paying" jobs and how those working them should strive to do better. Who would collect your garbage, sweep your streets, pick your produce, wash your dishes, do your laundry, should all of those people "move on up"? I person doing the simplest of jobs is essential to our country in one way or another, and should be supplied a living wage for doing so. If that means adjusting the wage scale from top to bottom, so be it. But when a person dedicates their time and effort to perform those jobs, they deserve just compensation and should not have to be on food stamps and welfare while working a full time job.
I'll bite. What is "just compensation" for flipping a burger? And with your answer...are you comfortable with absorbing the "adjustment" as a consumer? Cause it's coming....
Simple question....directed STRAIGHT AT YOU. What would you charge per hour at your local McDonalds to man the grill? No need to reply DeCav style....answer it in a sentence or two. Bet you can't do it.
Last edited by Colbyc36 on Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We opened the door to everyone. Its over."
-Tom Knotts

I'm Batman!
No Team Affiliation

Post by I'm Batman! »

Colbyc36 wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:55 pm
No need to reply DeCav style....answer it in a sentence or two. Bet you can't do it.
"DeCav style" - wow! That's funny right there!

This whole thread is like watching Wimbleton to me. Back and forth...

For me, year round school - not a big deal once you look at the whole picture. Same number of days in school, the days off are just spread out so you get bigger breaks at Christmas and Spring Break. I like the idea after reading more details.

As for the "side discussion" I agree with the majority. It's broken and needs to be better administrated and the system needs tweaking. As with most systems, someone always finds a way to take advantage of the rules and right now, the number of folks who play the system is HUGE. I saw someone use the words HAND UP and HAND OUT. That is the key. It should be a system that helps those that need assistance, not a hand out.

And for the other side discussion, in a free enterprise system, you are paid based simply on the value you bring to the company. If I can pay you $10 an hour and keep you at your job producing what I need then I'm not going to pay you $11 an hour. If you leave if I pay $9 an hour, then I pay $10. That's how it works now and how it worked for years. How many of us left a job because we found one paying more?

Oh, and Penguin, garbage collectors usually make way more than minimum wage. It's back to that system I mentioned above... to get someone to producing what I need, I have to pay them more because of the working conditions. To get someone to work in those conditions, I have to pay more than $10 an hour.