Re: year round school

Post by Colbyc36 »

Penguin wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:56 am
Fortfor5 wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:12 pm
Penguin wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:58 pm
The primary objective of schooling is not to play sports. Let's not forget that. Football is not what education is for. Check the percentages of High School kids who wind up in the NFL.

I am no proponent of year round schooling, but a quick glance at how this state stacks up in education is a major red flag that changes are necessary. What those changes are is up for debate, but the status quo doesn't work. If it's broken, try to fix it. In a hole? Then stop digging.

I am not qualified to offer my opinions on how to better educate our youth, but some of the answers lie with more parental involvement. A very tough nut to crack here.
Yep good portion is parental .i dont agree with some of the current curriculum. Kids are coming out of highschool still not functional in the real world.
As for the athletic side we have a class for our athletes on how to budget time and money ect once a week.
Which i find very beneficial due ti lack of parenting in some households.
This should br a semester course in highschool period.
Part of the real world problem, is that education has not kept pace with societal changes. Our kids are being taught how to be slaves to the Oligarchy. America needs to be so much more than a service oriented workforce. On the worldwide stage, we have been surpassed by most other mechanized nations. Technology has passed us by because what is being taught is yesterday's norm. Big busines needs it's worker bees. They are behind the rrsistance to change. College grads don't become Walmart Associates. And most of our high tech jobs have been shipped overseas by the Oligarchs because they can get them done there on the cheap. This whole mess is a top-down catastrophe. We are still living in a time where the minimum wage is $7.25. Given how the cost of EVERYTHING else in this country has risen, why haven't wages? Honestly, I don't see an answer coming anythime soon.
You can raise the minimum wage until the cows come home. It will just be transferred on to the consumer. It all works out in the wash.
I worked hard to get to my income bracket. I DESERVE to be ahead of the cat flippin' the burger for 5, 10, 15 years. It's called drive, sadly...what many lack today.
"We opened the door to everyone. Its over."
-Tom Knotts

Penguin
Beaufort Eagles

Post by Penguin »

Then pay them enough for them to want to be one of those. Those jobs are essential and necessary and those doing them shouldn't have to go to food banks and look for handouts.
The "Godfather" didn't whine like The "Slobfather" is doing, when he got INDICTED!!!!!

Colbyc36
Byrnes Rebels

Post by Colbyc36 »

The professions that Rebel mentioned do get paid well. But do you think a burger flipper at McDonalds should make 15 an hour? It takes ZERO skill...an 8 year old can do it.
Minimum wage is MINIMUM....for a reason.
No "gitty up".:
I am in maintenance. Blue collar as hell. My hands tell a story. I damn sure better make more than a Palmolive handed person who wants to make close to the same for less effort. Goes back to the "Hunter Gathering" days. Bordering on Darwinism.
-Tom Knotts

Deputy
No Team Affiliation

Post by Deputy »

The problem is that we have entered an age where suddenly people feel they are owed something instead of earning it. Many of the folks demanding a minimum age raise made decisions not too pay attention in school, have no particular skill to offer an employer, and no people skills. Even as they move into adulthood, they make zero effort to improve themselves. But I guess they feel their wage should be doubled just because they are drawing a breath. Go through any fast food restaurant. There are many folks working in these places that aren't worth the 7.50, much less 15.00.

Colbyc36
Byrnes Rebels

Post by Colbyc36 »

Deputy wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:05 pm
The problem is that we have entered an age where suddenly people feel they are owed something instead of earning it. Many of the folks demanding a minimum age raise made decisions not too pay attention in school, have no particular skill to offer an employer, and no people skills. Even as they move into adulthood, they make zero effort to improve themselves. But I guess they feel their wage should be doubled just because they are drawing a breath. Go through any fast food restaurant. There are many folks working in these places that aren't worth the 7.50, much less 15.00.
Spot on Deputy. Spot on.
-Tom Knotts

Colbyc36
Byrnes Rebels

Post by Colbyc36 »

Penguin wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:19 pm
Then pay them enough for them to want to be one of those. Those jobs are essential and necessary and those doing them shouldn't have to go to food banks and look for handouts.
45 years old. I've never been to a food bank. I've never drawn unemployment. I just realized in life ..it's up to me. It's that simple. Lefties never cease to amaze me.
-Tom Knotts

Penguin
Beaufort Eagles

Post by Penguin »

I dare any one of you to go 90 days working for 7.25 per hour and keep your bills paid.
The "Godfather" didn't whine like The "Slobfather" is doing, when he got INDICTED!!!!!

SF Band dad
South Florence Bruins

Post by SF Band dad »

Mopping floors and bagging groceries are entry level jobs, they are not supposed to be life-long careers. If you force me to pay humans $15-$20 an hour for those tasks it suddenly becomes justifiable to buy a robot to mop the floors and a couple of self-serve kiosks at the check-out.

There is dignity in work. Are we going to deny that to this next generation?

SF Band dad
South Florence Bruins

Post by SF Band dad »

FBCoach843 wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:41 am
Florence One School District is going year round next year. Teachers come back July 22nd. I think this could be a good honestly.
My best friend is one of the parents that voted in favor of FSD1's move to a "year round" schedule. As I understand it, it is the same number of instruction days. The summer break is shorter, but the fall, winter and spring breaks are longer. The old schedule was based on the need for children to work the fields and harvest the crops. The "year round" schedule helps to eliminate the academic "fall back" that occurs during the traditional, long summer break.

Penguin
Beaufort Eagles

Post by Penguin »

SF Band dad wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:46 am
Mopping floors and bagging groceries are entry level jobs, they are not supposed to be life-long careers. If you force me to pay humans $15-$20 an hour for those tasks it suddenly becomes justifiable to buy a robot to mop the floors and a couple of self-serve kiosks at the check-out.

There is dignity in work. Are we going to deny that to this next generation?
If a job is necessary, then it is worth paying the person doing it a living wage. If a person invests 40 hours per week doing a job, they should not have to work a second one to survive. Human dignity.