Not Really Sure How This Translates To Football

A forum for Pro Sports, College Sports, Racing, Music, Hobbies, and other Interests.
*No Politics please.
Penguin
Beaufort Eagles

Re: Not Really Sure How This Translates To Football

Post by Penguin »

My point in posting this article was to present scientific facts about the increased dangers of "re opening" the country and reducing restrictions that were in place prior to May 21st. The graphs in the article are self explanatory. That article made no comments about whether it is safe to go to church, go to walmart, congregate on sandbars in the middle of the river, or any other distinction. It made no reference as to mortality rates of children, adults, seniors, or anything else other than a comparison of pre May 21st, and post May 21st.

Yet I get responses to the effect of a child is less likely to get hit by a flying Volvo than to die from Covid-19. While true, that is nothing more than propaganda being used to create an aura of safety and security. It is a gross disservice to the public as a whole. Any and all information about Covid-19 should be considered while making choices for ones self and their families. You want to go to church, there is nobody stopping you. However, you are just being given pertinent information as to the added chance of a child becoming infected by the disease. Again, your choice, no control, or attempt to control.

Rhonda works at Wal-Mart, and her job these days is to monitor the number of people coming into the store, as restrictions about large gatherings are being observed. She also monitors shoppers for social distancing, mask usage, and proper hand hygiene. If your church is taking the same measures, then there is no point in your argument. If not, then again, there is no point in trying to compare a bushel of apples to a pound of cat food.

There is one final point that even this article does not mention, and that is about how your (sic) actions, or inactions, affect other people. When you make a deliberate effort to exercise your (sic) personal liberties and freedoms with complete and total disregard for how that may affect others, then you (sic) are being selfish above everything else that you are doing.

I would also like to make a point of saying this about church, since that seems to be a burr under your saddle. My neighbor is an extremely religious man, and he attends church services several times per week. During the "shutdown period", late March through May 21st, he was able to regularly attend his weekly services because his pastor made the effort to have a virtual service, and people were encouraged to attend in their cars in the parking lot of the church. Point is, your argument with regards to not being able to go to church, rings hollow.

In no way would I even pretend to tell you anything about anything. You are a grown man and fully capable of making every choice necessary. But when you foment false information in order to make a point about your cat, when the conversation is about my dog, I take umbrage. That is why I am upset about the misleading claims being put forth in this thread. The numbers speak for themselves, the point was made by those with much more knowledge than I have, I just thought that posting it may somehow be pertinent to whether or not parents would choose to allow their children to participate in activities that put them at a higher risk for exposure, hospitalization, and even yes, death. Not as compared to getting hit by an asteroid, but at a higher risk than by taking proper precautions. There is at least one post here stating that we can either hide in the basement or completely ignore the disease. Nothing could be farther from the truth. With proper precautions, most activities, including playing football seem possible. But not by pretending that this virus does not exist and that a modicum of preventative measures will not help. I never made any such argument about anyone hiding in any basement.........so the entire credibility of that post is out the window.

I responded to your post because you spouted Reuben's propaganda. His twisting of irrelevant facts to change the narrative, is counterproductive, misleading, and dangerous. If I am to make a decision about exposing my child to a higher risk of long term health issues, and possibly even death, I want some hard facts to aid me in making that decision, not some twisted logic to make me feel a false sense of security. That is what manipulation and control is. Certainly not supplying relevant facts.

After now 6 months of dealing with this virus, we all have a better idea of what we are up against, how best to deal with it, and the certain things that lead to surges and widespread infections.
The "Godfather" didn't whine like The "Slobfather" is doing, when he got INDICTED!!!!!

OLDFART51
Woodruff Wolverines

Post by OLDFART51 »

Just another example of this is OK but this isn’t.

SOUTH CAROLINA Columbia: City officials shut down a pool party Saturday at an apartment complex near the University of South Carolina, saying at least 200 people were crowded around without masks, violating rules meant to prevent the spread of COVID-19. “The pool was fully loaded,” Columbia Fire Chief Aubrey Jenkins told WLTX-TV.

This is so funny to me, they shut down a pool party & churches but don’t shut down marches, demonstrations, and riots.

Rebel-Fan-74
Byrnes Rebels
Location: On the banks of the Tyger River and those banks are rising..

Post by Rebel-Fan-74 »

Oldfart, you know you going to get blasted......

I expressed my opinions, explained them, and even pointed out that I wasn't mad...

Didn't matter.

--

I woke up this morning, that's a positive!
Right now I am vertical, on top of the grass
and I don't hear harp music! All good things!

--

Rebel-Fan-74
Byrnes Rebels

Post by Rebel-Fan-74 »

I'm interested to see how Pelosi visiting a supposed to be "CLOSED" Salon, not wearing a mask will be explained away and being OK.

--

--

Penguin
Beaufort Eagles

Post by Penguin »

Rebel-Fan-74 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:30 pm
Oldfart, you know you going to get blasted......

I expressed my opinions, explained them, and even pointed out that I wasn't mad...

Didn't matter.
My disappointment with you, Ken. is that you jumped right on the Reuben train without even trying to process the reason for the thread. With Reuben, I expect no less. Twist, distort, and make his argument about something other than what was posted. I feel your despair, there are currently things going on by elected officials that run 180 degrees from suggested protocols. I am not trying to justify a single one of them. But you just touched on what I was attempting to get across to people.......get the facts......as many facts as possible. Weigh them according to where they originate and who actually is educated in the field. Nancy Pelosi, Moscow Mitch, nor Mango Mussolini, will have me listening to them. I will look for pertinent information from those who have no financial or political agenda. I will also consider those who are attempting to hide the truth from me, and just ignore them completely.

I am sorry that you feel as though I jumped all over you.......perhaps it appears that way. I am really ticked off at Reuben for fomenting false equivalents and gross distortions of what I posted. If he felt so strongly about his statistics, I would offer him that he has every opportunity to do so without having to resort to diminishing scientific fact and disregarding it as irrelevant. I do believe that his use of mortality rates has an important place in the overall discussion of the virus, but it has no place in the discussion of the increased risk for infection since the lifting of restrictions. Those 2 topics are not the same, and pretending that they are is a disservice to honest people of all ages, races, and political beliefs.

Climbing down from my soapbox now. Please accept my apologies for becoming so irate. As I have aged, I have zero tolerance for BS, and whatever that thing is that fits between your brain and your mouth that keeps you from saying the wrong thing at the wrong time, well, mine is broken.
The "Godfather" didn't whine like The "Slobfather" is doing, when he got INDICTED!!!!!

Rebel-Fan-74
Byrnes Rebels

Post by Rebel-Fan-74 »

Penguin wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:51 pm
My disappointment with you, Ken. is that you jumped right on the Reuben train without even trying to process the reason for the thread.
It may have appeared to you that I jumped on that train, but I'm speaking for me, with my own feelings.
Penguin wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:51 pm
Climbing down from my soapbox now. Please accept my apologies for becoming so irate. As I have aged, I have zero tolerance for BS, and whatever that thing is that fits between your brain and your mouth that keeps you from saying the wrong thing at the wrong time, well, mine is broken.
You have your right to your opinions, just understand that not everyone is going to jump on your train, and some of us like driving our own train.

I've been called a lot of things in my LONG LIFE; but politically correct is not one of those names. My filter is not broke, I don't have one... I just usually keep my opinions to myself on most subjects.

You and I do not agree on God and Church and as strongly as you feel about the subject, I'm 180 degrees out from you on where we stand, but we both are firmly rooted in our beliefs and know we are not going to change the other's opinion. On the subject of politics, again we are both strongly rooted in our beliefs but they are not in line with each other. So when those two subjects come up, I'm either remaining quiet or I'm rubbing the cat the wrong way. I expect these two subjects to be either like this or one of us will just walk away. Lately, neither one of us walked away.... and that is OK. I don't take it as a personal attack on me, I know you well enough to know, if it is personal, I'll get a PM.

--

--

Penguin
Beaufort Eagles

Post by Penguin »

Politics nor religion was involved in my original post. Others interjected them. I only care about facts, and that article may, or may not, be pertinent to football. I indicated as much. I am not concerned with right wing talking points, nor left wing talking points for that matter. Just scientific facts. That is what will ultimately defeat this horrific disease. What a person ultimately chooses to do or not do, is up to them. I just hate for people to make potentially life altering decisions based upon propaganda and misinformation. Decision are always better when you have more facts rather than less. Look forward to seeing you at a game. Maybe some football will settle all of our nerves somewhat.

Rebel-Fan-74
Byrnes Rebels

Post by Rebel-Fan-74 »

Penguin wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:43 pm
Look forward to seeing you at a game. Maybe some football will settle all of our nerves somewhat.

AMEN!!!

..........Something we both can agree on......
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: LET'S PLAY SOME FOOTBALL!!!

--

--

AllCrimson71
Northwestern Trojans

Post by AllCrimson71 »

And here folks, is exactly why the NFL screwed up royaly allowing politics into their league. You guys have had a robust(and way more civil than what we see everywhere else)political discussion.
Football was always everybody's escape from all the other issues that divide us. I always loved looking through the fans and noting the different socioeconomic, races, religions, ect.... all sitting together rooting for their team. I'm truly disgusted to see politics coming to ruin the last thing that most of us enjoyed as an escape from all the factors that divide us.
And best believe....this is an organized and planned attack to sew division in this country to undermine our nation. So sad to watch the sheep be so easily manipulated into these false or wildly subjective narratives. Now, we can't even enjoy watching football anymore.

cavaliereagle
Central Eagles. Richland Northeast

Post by cavaliereagle »

AllCrimson71 wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:31 am
And here folks, is exactly why the NFL screwed up royaly allowing politics into their league. You guys have had a robust(and way more civil than what we see everywhere else)political discussion.
Football was always everybody's escape from all the other issues that divide us. I always loved looking through the fans and noting the different socioeconomic, races, religions, ect.... all sitting together rooting for their team. I'm truly disgusted to see politics coming to ruin the last thing that most of us enjoyed as an escape from all the factors that divide us.
And best believe....this is an organized and planned attack to sew division in this country to undermine our nation. So sad to watch the sheep be so easily manipulated into these false or wildly subjective narratives. Now, we can't even enjoy watching football anymore.
Agreed!
CENTRAL EAGLES...MAKE PLAYS NOT EXCUSES.