Not OT....playing for cash possibly......

A forum for Pro Sports, College Sports, Racing, Music, Hobbies, and other Interests.
*No Politics please.

Players allowed to endorse themselves

Yes
No votes
No
44%
All players get some compensation
44%
No players get compensation
11%

Total votes: 9

cavaliereagle
Central Eagles. Richland Northeast

Re: Not OT....playing for cash possibly......

Post by cavaliereagle »

When considering the opinions of all who have posted, I have some different thoughts. Any player endorsements given should be placed in a fund for all players on that team. For example, at Clemson, Trevor Lawrence wouldn't be much of a star without the other offensive players around him.Seems to me that would be only fair for the offensive linemen that protect him each play.
CENTRAL EAGLES...MAKE PLAYS NOT EXCUSES.

racincowboy02
Gaffney Indians

Post by racincowboy02 »

So what are the hidden cost that are not disclosed. What do you mean they don't receive a fee education that's what the scholarship is for a free education which means they get to go to school without it costing them a dime unless you are talking about the cost of books?

cavaliereagle

Post by cavaliereagle »

racincowboy02 wrote:So what are the hidden cost that are not disclosed. What do you mean they don't receive a fee education that's what the scholarship is for a free education which means they get to go to school without it costing them a dime unless you are talking about the cost of books?
It's my understanding that everything is paid for. Including books.

Penguin
Beaufort Eagles

Post by Penguin »

Some hidden costs for student athletes would not be limited to, but include many, if not all of these:

transportation
communication
off campus housing
off campus meals
healthcare insurance
life insurance
tutoring
remote class fees
special testing fees
injury insurance
postage fees

just a partial list. My position is that ALL student athletes should receive a stipend, not just star players or revenue producing sports. When you look at all professional sports, only the NFL through the NCAA, has a minor league system in which players are not compensated. Either give these kids the opportunity to play in a paid minor league system, or pay them a stipend for all of their risks undertaken by playing in the NCAA.

As for those of you who think that a student athlete is "GIVEN" an education, your lack thereof is shining through. These kids are given the "Opportunity" to get an education, otherwise diplomas would be handed out like condoms........free to anyone who asks for one.
The "Godfather" didn't whine like The "Slobfather" is doing, when he got INDICTED!!!!!

cavaliereagle

Post by cavaliereagle »

Penguin wrote:Some hidden costs for student athletes would not be limited to, but include many, if not all of these:

transportation
communication
off campus housing
off campus meals
healthcare insurance
life insurance
tutoring
remote class fees
special testing fees
injury insurance
postage fees

just a partial list. My position is that ALL student athletes should receive a stipend, not just star players or revenue producing sports. When you look at all professional sports, only the NFL through the NCAA, has a minor league system in which players are not compensated. Either give these kids the opportunity to play in a paid minor league system, or pay them a stipend for all of their risks undertaken by playing in the NCAA.

As for those of you who think that a student athlete is "GIVEN" an education, your lack thereof is shining through. These kids are given the "Opportunity" to get an education, otherwise diplomas would be handed out like condoms........free to anyone who asks for one.
No one at any level is given an education. They are given the opportunity to get an education. I found this on a UNC site:

https://admissions.unc.edu/afford/cost-of-attendance/

North Carolina Residents Out-of-State Residents
Tuition & Fees $9,018 $36,000
Housing & Meals $11,526 $11,526
Direct Costs $20,544 $47,526
Books & Supplies $972 $972
Travel & Personal $2,694 $3,472
Loan Fees $56 $56
Indirect Costs $3,722 $4,500

Total Cost of Attendance
$24,266 $52,026

Looks like pretty good compensation to me.

Penguin
Beaufort Eagles

Post by Penguin »

Compensation, of course, but no more than any other scholarship recipient. And, in a form not negotiated with the student athlete. How would you like it if you were paid for 5 years of your life strictly by the terms laid out by a third party who happens to be business partners with your employer, and includes zero money?
The "Godfather" didn't whine like The "Slobfather" is doing, when he got INDICTED!!!!!

racincowboy02
Gaffney Indians

Post by racincowboy02 »

Penguin you do make some good points that I really didn't think about, The only thing that I don't like about paying college players to play is that to me it takes away from the purity of the game at the college level, If that makes any sense cause if you pay them then they will act just like the pro players do and take plays off and they won't hustle and it will be like watching the NFL and that to me sucks. The money and the fame is what has ruined the NFL and I don't want to see that happen to college sports.

Penguin
Beaufort Eagles

Post by Penguin »

racincowboy02 wrote:Penguin you do make some good points that I really didn't think about, The only thing that I don't like about paying college players to play is that to me it takes away from the purity of the game at the college level, If that makes any sense cause if you pay them then they will act just like the pro players do and take plays off and they won't hustle and it will be like watching the NFL and that to me sucks. The money and the fame is what has ruined the NFL and I don't want to see that happen to college sports.
I lived by that very argument for decades. It has so much validity. But......after seeing some very high profile college kids like Maurice Clarette and Marcus Lattimore lose hundreds of millions of dollars due to injuries sustained while making millions of dollars for the NCAA and the universities that they attended, I came to realize that there has to be a better way for these kids to prepare for the NFL.

I would prefer to see a minor league system set up for those with NFL abilities instead of sending them off to college where most will fail to take advantage of the most important aspect of college life, a free education. That way, the NCAA and it's member institutions could still have football, but on a much less money driven platform. Back to those good old days of pure student athletes and a pure game. Same for basketball. Money has ruined college athletics no matter how you look at it.

Onion Rings
No Team Affiliation

Post by Onion Rings »

agree with Penguin, it's big business and getting bigger by the year. just not sure what it would look like. I'm not against the players, just need to see the model I guess

posted before about the things they do get, which is substantial, but you made me realize that the college ball of today is not even what it was 10 years ago. It's something else, basically a money machine for these universities

Coach takes home 8 mil. Coordinator 2 mil. they will say "we don't set the market price". that's 10 mil. plus perks I'm sure (endorsements, clothes, cars, tv shows, ads, etc.) for 2 people

Onion Rings
No Team Affiliation

Post by Onion Rings »

and it's miles away from what it was in the 70's and 80"s