Not OT....playing for cash possibly......

A forum for Pro Sports, College Sports, Racing, Music, Hobbies, and other Interests.
*No Politics please.

Players allowed to endorse themselves

Yes
No votes
No
44%
All players get some compensation
44%
No players get compensation
11%

Total votes: 9

Newcatntown
Bluffton Bobcats

Not OT....playing for cash possibly......

Post by Newcatntown »

This new bill passed in California has caused a uproar...i dont think it will hold up though.
If it did...it will mess up where players want to play.

Discuss.....

Onion Rings
No Team Affiliation

Re: Not OT....playing for cash possibly......

Post by Onion Rings »

they are already getting paid imo. They all get a stipend

the gear, the swag, the thousands of dollars it costs to go to school that they don't pay

the scooters, the barbers, the lobster dinners, the game tickets and parking passes

the facilities and perks, which are available only to them. They are members of an exclusive club that people would pay thousands if not more to be a part of

Give them the option of turning pro right out of high school and I bet you wouldn't get many takers, they have it too good in college

Fortfor5
Fort Dorchester Patriots

Post by Fortfor5 »

Yeah i think they should get some money .theres a lot of money being made off thier backs.sure they get a scholarship thats for thier athletic abilty.thier marketability is thiers they should be able to cash in.maybe small limited contracts.

cavaliereagle
Central Eagles. Richland Northeast

Post by cavaliereagle »

The only thing I think they should get in addition to what they currently get would be insurance. I think each scholarship player should be provided a policy that provides a big payoff for career ending injury. Whatever amount should be for each scholarship player, regardless of position. I also agree with Onion Rings:
Onion Rings wrote:they are already getting paid imo. They all get a stipend

the gear, the swag, the thousands of dollars it costs to go to school that they don't pay

the scooters, the barbers, the lobster dinners, the game tickets and parking passes

the facilities and perks, which are available only to them. They are members of an exclusive club that people would pay thousands if not more to be a part of

Give them the option of turning pro right out of high school and I bet you wouldn't get many takers, they have it too good in college
CENTRAL EAGLES...MAKE PLAYS NOT EXCUSES.

Penguin
Beaufort Eagles

Post by Penguin »

The real issue isn't about college players getting paid, it is about college players getting their fair share of all the monies that they are risking their future for, absent any guarantees or compensation. If the NCAA and the Universities themselves were not enriching themselves on the backs of these modern day slaves, then there would be no need for this discussion. Just another example of unfettered capitalism working for the few and against the masses. Another class of human beings being exploited by another class. Serfdom, you are alive and well in America.
The "Godfather" didn't whine like The "Slobfather" is doing, when he got INDICTED!!!!!

Onion Rings
No Team Affiliation

Post by Onion Rings »

McDonald's makes billions..should the workers expect to make millions working there, after all without them the business does not exist

if you choose to pay the athletes, how do you determine their worth?

Penguin
Beaufort Eagles

Post by Penguin »

"if you choose to pay the athletes, how do you determine their worth?"

Simple, take the athletes out of the equation and see what you have left. Right now, they are the only ones exposed to risk, and with zero guarantees and zero compensation.
The "Godfather" didn't whine like The "Slobfather" is doing, when he got INDICTED!!!!!

racincowboy02
Gaffney Indians

Post by racincowboy02 »

Wait a minute come on Penguin zero compensation what about that free scholarship for that free education what does that cost? If it wasn't for these colleges offering these kids the scholarship the majority of them wouldn't even be able to sniff the college campus let alone a football or any other athletic field on a college campus.

Onion Rings
No Team Affiliation

Post by Onion Rings »

from what I've read/heard, the California bill is to allow individual college athletes to make as much money as they can through endorsements, selling autographs, jersey's likenesses, etc. This would only benefit the few athletes on each team that are famous/good enough to cash in on endorsements.

So, as I understand it, it's not "let's pay all of the players their slice of the pie", rather it's "go make money if you can", and if not oh well

So, Tua, Fields, Lawrence, Fromm, Burrows cash in for millions (not a share of what the college makes, but from companies that want them as endorsers)

Where does that leave the other 85 players?

Penguin
Beaufort Eagles

Post by Penguin »

racincowboy02 wrote:Wait a minute come on Penguin zero compensation what about that free scholarship for that free education what does that cost? If it wasn't for these colleges offering these kids the scholarship the majority of them wouldn't even be able to sniff the college campus let alone a football or any other athletic field on a college campus.

Whoa......hold that boat. These players DO NOT RECEIVE a free education, a free diploma, or free anything else. In exchange for room and board, they are forced to risk life and limb without a safety net. They may be GIVEN the OPPORTUNITY to get an education, but they have to pay all sorts of hidden costs. Any other student on an academic scholarship is given those same opportunities without any risk. And degrees are earned, just the same as all other college students. These athletes are expected to maintain their grades to remain eligible to play, and are expected to do so with only a tiny fraction of time available for study. Let's make sure that we get our facts straight without resorting to old, tired, worn out, and easily debunked, talking points.