Title Contenders 2023

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
DFOLDMAN
Dutch Fork Silver Foxes

Title Contenders 2023

Post by DFOLDMAN »

Looking ahead to this year's SCHSL Football State Championships in each classification, just curious what folks see for this fall.

1A: Looking at 1A, in my mind you don't need to look past Region 1. Christ Church, Southside Christian, St. Joseph's...Jesus apparently loves football. I would think one of those teams would be the team to beat again. Maybe some team like Lamar or Johnsonville might upset that apple cart, but that is a long shot in my mind.

2A: Abbeville is the standard for now, but Gray and Oceanside are pushing them. Also, can't sleep on teams like Barnwell, Silver Bluff, Andrew Jackson, Timberland, Strom Thurmond, Saluda, Fairfield, Newberry etc.... all of those teams can field competitive teams - but Abbeville, Gray and Oceanside stand out to me.

3A: The champion is still the champion until someone beats them. Not sure what Beaufort lost from last season but you have to put them near the top. They need to learn to throw the ball a little this age in HS football to stay at the championship level. I think they were just physically better than Powdersville last year. That being said, I believe 3A will be most wide open and competitive classification in 2023. Along with Beaufort and Powdersville, have to look at teams like Daniel, Camden, Clinton and Dillon. They don't like missing the title game for very long. Long list of good teams...LR, Gilbert, Crestwood, BHP, B-C, Marlboro County, Chester, Wren, Seneca, Philip Simmons, Hanahan, Chapman and yes as tiresome as it can be...sigh, Woodruff....lol.

4A: The champs lost a lot but should still be good. 4A is fun. Region 6 teams are a threat every year. Good Pee Dee Football. Region 5 is solid with Irmo, AC Flora, Ridge View... they all could make a run. Greenville has the talent for sure. Region 3 gets my vote this season. Think Northwestern may be the team to beat, but never ever count out South Pointe and Catawba Ridge has turned in to a very good program. Again, along with 3A the deepest and most fun from my perspective.

5A: Dutch Fork...the end.

ok, kidding...kinda. I know DF lost Jarvis Green, but have a ton of talent returning and will be fine- and there is the Carolina GOAT. All the normal teams come to mind to make a run...Gaffney, Fort Dorchester, Dorman, Summerville, Byrnes, Hanna, Spartanburg, Sumter. For our sanity, I do hope Berkeley is good this season so we don't have to all endure Slick's "oh woe is me" soliloquy. Please Stags, don't suck. For all of us....lol. I do think Carolina Forest will be better this season. I know Dorman and Lexington have coaching changes...have to see how that works for them. I think Hillcrest has the the potential every year and White Knoll is sneaking up on people, along with River Bluff. 5A did lose a great crop of QBs from last season Loftis from Gaffney, Osborne from Fort D...Jeter from Spartanburg and I would also add Appler from DF- once he was healthy he was a difference maker.

Let me know what you think and who I have missed.

Fear The Fox...

HoodRoad
Powdersville Patriots

Re: Title Contenders 2023

Post by HoodRoad »

DFOLDMAN wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:37 am
Looking ahead to this year's SCHSL Football State Championships in each classification, just curious what folks see for this fall.

1A: Looking at 1A, in my mind you don't need to look past Region 1. Christ Church, Southside Christian, St. Joseph's...Jesus apparently loves football. I would think one of those teams would be the team to beat again. Maybe some team like Lamar or Johnsonville might upset that apple cart, but that is a long shot in my mind.

2A: Abbeville is the standard for now, but Gray and Oceanside are pushing them. Also, can't sleep on teams like Barnwell, Silver Bluff, Andrew Jackson, Timberland, Strom Thurmond, Saluda, Fairfield, Newberry etc.... all of those teams can field competitive teams - but Abbeville, Gray and Oceanside stand out to me.

3A: The champion is still the champion until someone beats them. Not sure what Beaufort lost from last season but you have to put them near the top. They need to learn to throw the ball a little this age in HS football to stay at the championship level. I think they were just physically better than Powdersville last year. That being said, I believe 3A will be most wide open and competitive classification in 2023. Along with Beaufort and Powdersville, have to look at teams like Daniel, Camden, Clinton and Dillon. They don't like missing the title game for very long. Long list of good teams...LR, Gilbert, Crestwood, BHP, B-C, Marlboro County, Chester, Wren, Seneca, Philip Simmons, Hanahan, Chapman and yes as tiresome as it can be...sigh, Woodruff....lol.

4A: The champs lost a lot but should still be good. 4A is fun. Region 6 teams are a threat every year. Good Pee Dee Football. Region 5 is solid with Irmo, AC Flora, Ridge View... they all could make a run. Region 3 gets my vote this season. Think Northwestern may be the team to beat, but never ever count out South Pointe and Catawba Ridge has turned in to a very good program. Again, along with 3A the deepest and most fun from my perspective.

ok, kidding...kinda. I know DF lost Jarvis Green, but have a ton of talent returning and will be fine- and there is the Carolina GOAT. All the normal teams come to mind to make a run...Gaffney, Fort Dorchester, Dorman, Summerville, Byrnes, Hanna, Spartanburg, Sumter. For our sanity, I do hope Berkeley is good this season so we don't have to all endure Slick's "oh woe is me" soliloquy. Please Stags, don't suck. For all of us....lol. I do think Carolina Forest will be better this season. I know Dorman and Lexington have coaching changes...have to see how that works for them. I think Hillcrest has the the potential every year and White Knoll is sneaking up on people, along with River Bluff. 5A did lose a great crop of QBs from last season Loftis from Gaffney, Osborne from Fort D...Jeter from Spartanburg and I would also add Appler from DF- once he was healthy he was a difference maker.

Fear The Fox...
A - IMO it's CC's to lose. The talent is there esp at RB and they're very well coached.

AA - Hard to ever bet against A-Town but I do think this upcoming season gives the others mentioned a shot at taking down the champs but you just never know. That place is a football factory. Only place I've ever been that embraces both it's dominance and at the same time likes to play the underdog card. I can't tell you how many times I heard "we're just a little old 2A school..." Yeah right.

AAA - Don't count Pville out. We lost 22 Srs but we have a lot of returning players that made significant contributions to our success. Biggest loss may be losing our OC/OL coach. Clinton, Daniel, and Dillon should still be at the top. Never know what to expect from BHP lately and Chester will be better and more experienced. Not sure what Wren will look like. Depends on if Frate brings kids with him from Simpsonville, err I mean umm kids move to Piedmont like the ones from Mauldin, Hanna, Greenville, and Mann have done recently. I guess Beaufort is still the team to beat in the lowcountry but for whatever reason their HC is trying his best to get out of town. I think he's applied for 3 or 4 HC jobs elsewhere so far. AAA will def be the most fun to watch.

AAAA - They say Northwestern is the team to beat. Greenville should be good again. Will be interesting to see how their QB situation works out. Pretty good returning QB IMO now insert the transfer QB from Gray Collegiate.

AAAAA - Dead horse. Just for fun...interested to see how Mauldin, Hillcrest and Woodmont will look. I think the Rams ran their course and will miss alot but their JV was pretty good so we'll see. Mauldin is a mystery. People make fun of Padgett Johnson but if he can get the right kids in place and get a few more athletes to play football at Woodmont they might make some noise. When he had those kids from Seneca show up at Walhalla they were dangerous. He knows how to coach and has the personal resources to help them get better.

Greerfan1
Greer Yellow Jackets

Post by Greerfan1 »

I agree with the majority of everything that you mentioned above

3A I could really see Chapman making a run this year, a ton of talent returns from a really young team and if they stay healthy watch out for them. Dillion is also due to make a run.

4A I would love to see Greer make a run, but I believe it's just going to be another average season, on paper it seems like Greenville should be the heavy favorite, followed by Northwestern.

5A who else but TK and the Silver Foxes LOL but I'm hearing Byrnes should be really good this fall some of my friends have said this might be one of the most talented Byrnes teams they have seen, so we shall see! and if Gaffney can get a QB they also should be considered a favorite.

HoodRoad
Powdersville Patriots

Post by HoodRoad »

Greerfan1 wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:15 am

3A I could really see Chapman making a run this year, a ton of talent returns from a really young team and if they stay healthy watch out for them. Dillion is also due to make a run.

4A I would love to see Greer make a run, but I believe it's just going to be another average season, on paper it seems like Greenville should be the heavy favorite, followed by Northwestern.

5A who else but TK and the Silver Foxes LOL but I'm hearing Byrnes should be really good this fall some of my friends have said this might be one of the most talented Byrnes teams they have seen, so we shall see! and if Gaffney can get a QB they also should be considered a favorite.
I miss the days of Greenville & Greer getting after it. What a rivalry that used to be. I've been to games at Greer against Greenville that were standing room only. Coach Young is one of my favorite people. Hopefully he'll get them back toward the top.

From what I hear and see across social media Byrnes is going to have speed all over the place. That doesn't necessarily equate to skill but they may be fun to watch. I never in my life would've thought the time came that Gaffney didn't have a home grown QB leading them. I've asked several of their supporters if they're shopping for QBs or do they have one in the pipeline and can't get a straight answer.

Greerfan1
Greer Yellow Jackets

Post by Greerfan1 »

HoodRoad wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:22 am
Greerfan1 wrote:

I miss the days of Greenville & Greer getting after it. What a rivalry that used to be. I've been to games at Greer against Greenville that were standing room only. Coach Young is one of my favorite people. Hopefully he'll get them back toward the top.

From what I hear and see across social media Byrnes is going to have speed all over the place. That doesn't necessarily equate to skill but they may be fun to watch. I never in my life would've thought the time came that Gaffney didn't have a home grown QB leading them. I've asked several of their supporters if they're shopping for QBs or do they have one in the pipeline and can't get a straight answer.

Man some of those Greer and Greenville games were awesome! Also the Byrnes game always is a good showing fan wise. Coach Young is awesome, I still think Greer is a year away, a lot of the skill players will be Jr's this fall, so it should be interesting to see their development.

Byrnes is loaded a couple of D1 P5 guys on the roster already, and who know's who might also show up after the school year. Should be a fun year in the Upstate.

bringthewood
No Team Affiliation

Post by bringthewood »

Greerfan1 wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:46 am
HoodRoad wrote:
Greerfan1 wrote:

Man some of those Greer and Greenville games were awesome! Also the Byrnes game always is a good showing fan wise. Coach Young is awesome, I still think Greer is a year away, a lot of the skill players will be Jr's this fall, so it should be interesting to see their development.

Byrnes is loaded a couple of D1 P5 guys on the roster already, and who know's who might also show up after the school year. Should be a fun year in the Upstate.
after the past couple of years there needed to be an uptick in the recruiting budget......

Greerfan1
Greer Yellow Jackets

Post by Greerfan1 »

bringthewood wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:30 pm
Greerfan1 wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:46 am
HoodRoad wrote:
Greerfan1 wrote:

after the past couple of years there needed to be an uptick in the recruiting budget......
Biggest question is who is gonna be QB1 for the Rebels

Footballer4Life
No Team Affiliation

Post by Footballer4Life »

Nobody can beat those charter schools in 1a. Lamar used to dominate 1a but can’t with the big schools.
Trey McManus

Fortfor5
Fort Dorchester Patriots

Post by Fortfor5 »

DFOLDMAN wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:37 am

4A: The champs lost a lot but should still be good. 4A is fun. Region 6 teams are a threat every year. Good Pee Dee Football. Region 5 is solid with Irmo, AC Flora, Ridge View... they all could make a run. Greenville has the talent for sure. Region 3 gets my vote this season. Think Northwestern may be the team to beat, but never ever count out South Pointe and Catawba Ridge has turned in to a very good program. Again, along with 3A the deepest and most fun from my perspective.

Fear The Fox...
We should be better .minus qb .D wasn't very good last year offense squeaked by . How we made it is baffling.
Our weakest team of last 5 years. We have a few qbs
Fighting . D will have to get better as well as oline.
So we shall see we return 2 ofv3 running backs.

BEAUFORTEAGLESFAN
Beaufort Eagles

Post by BEAUFORTEAGLESFAN »

I am not sure what every team has coming back. But I will take a shot at my early predictions. :mrgreen: ;)

1A- Christ Church
2A- Abbeville
3A- Beaufort
4A- Northwestern
5A- Dutch Fork

My predictions could change before the season starts after I know a little about what the teams are bringing back. As for My Beaufort Eagles Football Team, we are losing those 2 great Rb's, Colton Phares and Kacy Fields, who combined for over 400 yards and all the Td's for Beaufort in the State Title Game. Both Fields who will be playing for SC State and Phares who will be playing for Appalachian State will be definitely missed. But My Eagles return Samari Bonds at QB, Caleb Ulmer at RB, Adrian Lamb on the OL and DL, and some other key players on the Defensive side of the ball. I think Beaufort's Defense will really be good this season. I look for Beaufort to definitely be in the mix for the 3A State Title again. I think that Camden, Daniel, and Dillon should be in the mix also.

GO BEAUFORT EAGLES!!!!
Beaufort Head Football Coach Bryce Lybrand is 41-17 after his 5th Season at Beaufort
2022 3A State Football Champions
3 State Titles in Football
I have attended 624 Beaufort Football Games
GO BEAUFORT EAGLES!!!!