Hey Guys.... I am still alive and kicking.

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
Dave Pickren
SC HS Football Historian

Hey Guys.... I am still alive and kicking.

Post by Dave Pickren »

I am 8 weeks post-surgery for Triple By Pass Heart Surgery and to say it has been an adventure would be an understatement.

This has been one of the most challenging things I have ever been through but I am feeling stronger every day

I wound up having a triple bypass procedure on September 13 in Spartanburg during the worse of this Wave of Covid. In fact had my surgery been a day later, I would not have had it. The hospital stopped all procedures and short of being in cardiac arrest, they were performing no cardiac procedures. I was the only heart patient in CCU and then in the heart ward during my recovery

There was a 70, 30, and 20 percent blockage in my heart but my surgeon was able to successfully harvest from my leg and do the procedures. I was at SRMC for a week and have been in recovery at home since then. There was evidence of a silent heart attack over the past year so I was lucky to still be here. The rest of my heart was extremely healthy and the doctors were pleased after the surgery.

I started rehab last week and have made it up to a full mile on a treadmill. There have been good days and bad days and sometimes good hours and bad hours. The biggest problem I have is sleeping which is pretty common. I have a long scar on my chest and I get winded very easily and don't have much energy.

I was fortunate and the good Lord looked after me....to catch the blockage, to make sure I could have the surgery during Covid, to seeing me through the surgery and now the rehab.

For the first time in over 50 years, I have not seen a football game in person. Based on the pathetic Dorman season and the problems at Byrnes, I have not missed much. I have seen the game of the week on YouTube from MYTV from Charleston almost every week and watched more HS football on TV that I never knew existed. I gave $9.95 a month and watched many games on the NFHS site. And watch games from all over the country on my "Special Amazon Firestick"

The doctor cleared me to go out and see a game if I felt like it. But last week I was not about to sit outside in 35-degree weather. Now since Dorman did what they seem to do most often over the past few years and lost 2 games they should have won and Byrnes is well.....Byrnes these days............I doubt I will see a game all season. What in the world has happened to Dorman and playing and winning big games. Good grief this team seems to find ways to lose and has not shown any heart or creative coaching in years. Anyway.......not my problem.

Thanks to everyone who offered up prayers and sent me their best wishes. I hope everyone is well and that the games are safe and injury-free over the final weeks.

Have a great week and a wonderful Holiday Season

Dave

Itsmeoclock21
Myrtle Beach Seahawks

Re: Hey Guys.... I am still alive and kicking.

Post by Itsmeoclock21 »

You should be good now it definitely saved your life I’m glad you made it through all that. The technology the doctors have now is amazing. The bypass will last for decades my uncle had triple in 2001 still going strong. The scar on your chest is just a battle wound that’s all. Prayers for you for continued healing. Enjoy your football

Newcatntown
Bluffton Bobcats

Post by Newcatntown »

Wow Dave.....didnt know this happened to you.
Will keep you in prayer for continued recovery.🙏🙏

Many thanks for all the history that I know due to your hard work and efforts!👍👍👍

Keep the faith and hopefully the weather warms up so you can get out and see at least 1 great game during playoffs!

96fanatic
Ninety Six Wildcats

Post by 96fanatic »

Great news Dave.Glad to hear you are doing better.

CITYSLICKER
Berkeley Stags - 669 games and counting

Post by CITYSLICKER »

HEY GUY, WHO GIVES A RATS ASS. I HAVE TEXTED YOU, TIRED TO CALL YOU, YOU ARE A BOT NOT REAL, DONT COME ON HERE BOT CLAIMING TO BE PICKERMAN, I KNOW HE STOPPED STROLLING PARKING LOTS OF HIGH SCHOOL GAMES 20 YEARS AGO, DAVE MY ASS, YOU A VIRUS BOT, GO AWAY TO LOSING DORMAT LAND ZIPBOT .

669 STAGS GAMES AND COUNTING

SF Band dad
South Florence Bruins

Post by SF Band dad »

CITYSLICKER wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:16 am
HEY GUY, WHO GIVES A RATS ASS. I HAVE TEXTED YOU, TIRED TO CALL YOU, YOU ARE A BOT NOT REAL, DONT COME ON HERE BOT CLAIMING TO BE PICKERMAN, I KNOW HE STOPPED STROLLING PARKING LOTS OF HIGH SCHOOL GAMES 20 YEARS AGO, DAVE MY ASS, YOU A VIRUS BOT, GO AWAY TO LOSING DORMAT LAND ZIPBOT .
Take your meds, you old fish-eyed fool.