Gaffney - 63 Spartanburg - 14 Final

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
Dave Pickren
SC HS Football Historian

Re: Gaffney - 63 Spartanburg - 14 Final

Post by Dave Pickren »

"Damefan"

Let me just say Chris Miller has not forgotten how to coach!

Perhaps but there is now plenty of evidence to the contrary. Records and results from his career could be argued to prove the opposite.

My personal belief is that he doesn't have the talent at Spartanburg to be competitive against the Byrnes, Gaffney's and Dorman's.

No doubt about this and the talent gap is going to continue for years to come. Spartanburg is closer to Greenville and ROck Hill high program than they are to Dorman. Byrnes and Dutch Fork.

He is a heck of a coach that was basically bullied out of Byrnes so someone could put his hand picked coach who hadn't won anything in place.

Not exactly true since Byrnes is on its 3rd coach after Miller.
No one was handpicked and Byrnes did have 3 coaches in 3 years and 4 coaches in 6 after Miller left.
And Miller was offered every opportunity to continue at Byrnes.
He chose another path which was his right.

Chris would have kept the Dynasty going at Byrnes if he had been left alone

This is just not true
Those of us around the program knew there was a huge talent drop off coming and we started talking about years and years ago.
No one including BB would have won on some of those seasons.
Byrnes also had more injuries over a 3 or 4 year period than I have ever seen in other HS team. One season only 7 or 8 starters from Game 1 were left playing in Week 12. Decimated those seasons by injuries.

Also remember that the QB who should have led Byrnes to wins and Championships for 3 seasosns; "moved" across town and played at SHS. With him at Byrnes, I am positive the Rebels would have gone much further.

He took Byrnes to the State Championship 6 times and did win 4 out of 6 State Championship games. I don't call that riding on somebody's coattails and I am offended by that remark knowing Chris and how hard he works as a coach!!

Yes and No

By then the program was on cruise control and so set that I probably could have coached and won most of those games. BB left behind a solid program with years and years and years of feeder waiting for their turn. In some ways, the program was almost on autopilot and Byrnes was so far ahead of other programs that wins were going to happen regardless of who coached.

Still, Miller managed it all and took it to the promised land so he deserves full credit for an amazing record and success at Byrnes. But the talent was there and had been built into the program. That is until the inevitable talent drop off occurred which was coming for years and then showed its ugly head.

Someone bullied their way back into a job after they were fired for not being able to win at the next level and many think wanted the job back until he could get another college gig. Then he bailed on them again after setting the program up for failure and it did.

100% FALSE AND INACCURATE. NEVER HAPPENED THIS WAY..................... EVER. THIS IS COMPLETELY WRONG AND NOT A SHED OF TRUTH
SIMPLY PUT......YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT>>>NONE WHATSOEVER......

Fortunately for Byrnes, they have gotten Reggie Shaw who has salvaged the program and is my pick to win State this season. Byrnes has the talent and now has a coach, Spartanburg has a coach but doesn't have any talent!!

Brian did a very good job but had to deal with so many off the field issues (which were never made public)
I liked Brian and he was 33-6 at Byrnes which is pretty good. But in all honesty, it was time for Brian and Byrnes to move on and find a different direction. Even then the final decision was Brian's to leave Byrnes although with perhaps a little pressure from the admin.

Reggie has done a good job of building the Byrnes brand back and establishing discipline in the program.

Going to Dorman is very difficult on Thanksgiving Friday. Byrnes will have to play PERFECT to win and upset the Cavs. It should be a classic but it will take an incredible effort to win AT DORMAN in the playoffs. Dorman's team speed and Skill and play at QB are going to make them a very tough out at HOME.

1CANNON
Gaffney Indians

Post by 1CANNON »

When Bentley left Byrnes with Miller. Miller got the keys and roadmap,, all he had to do was drive the bus ;)

And Rebel05 where was his " great defensive" mind last night :shock:
STILL SPEAKING THE TRUTH

Dave Pickren
SC HS Football Historian

Post by Dave Pickren »

Against the 3 teams that matter, Spartanburg lost 170-24 combined and it could have been much worse.

Sounds like lat night Gaffney could have scored at will and Dorman could have hung 100 on Spartanburg if they wanted.