Job Openings

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
Go Tigers
Conway Tigers

Re: Job Openings

Post by Go Tigers »

eagle93 wrote:
SF Band dad wrote:
Damefan wrote:
tigergirl wrote:What happened at south florence?
He resigned!

https://www.scnow.com/sports/high-schoo ... user-share
Coach David Prince wrote:We were very fortunate to have come close in 2013 and 2014, but with being one of the smallest schools in the new 5A classification, I feel like our level of competitiveness has fallen off.
Exactly right. Competiveness was tossed out the window, the primary objective has been to keep regions compact to reduce travel costs.

We can thank the boneheads in Horry County for the Carolina Forest situation, that school is the only reason 5A had to extend down and include SF, Conway, Socastee and St. James.

We were competitive in 4A-II. In a straight up 5A, not so much. Before anybody starts posting any BS about this, look at how many smaller 5A schools made it to the 2nd round. (The answer is "2", and one of them had a small opponent in the first round.) How many will make it to the third round?..... zero.
Greenwood just isn't as good with the current situation no disrespect. My eyes can see. Too basic and no creativity. Some talent also choosing not to play. When we're right we can beat anyone and have. The schools that don't make it just aren't good. That's it.
I call BS! No disrespect but I hear this a lot from Greenwood fans. You guys have a great winning tradition. You have multiple state titles in football (9) and competitive almost every year. Y'all live by the motto anyone, anytime. I like the confidence, but there's one thing I've learned over the years....you can lie about the numbers, but the numbers don't lie. When thinking tradition big school powers in the state Dutch Fork, Dorman, Byrnes and Gaffney come to mind. So without wasting a lot of my time I checked Greenwood's record against those schools. They are as follows....
vs. Dutch Fork 1-2
vs. Dorman 8-17
vs. Byrnes 2-9
vs. Gaffney 10-14
(per SC Football History)
Greenwood won a state title in 1976 the next four titles came in 1999,2000,2006 and again in 2012. And yep you guessed it....All of them came in 4A "DIVISION 2".

eagle93
Greenwood Eagles

Post by eagle93 »

Go Tigers wrote:
eagle93 wrote:
SF Band dad wrote:
Damefan wrote:
He resigned!

Coach David Prince wrote:We were very fortunate to have come close in 2013 and 2014, but with being one of the smallest schools in the new 5A classification, I feel like our level of competitiveness has fallen off.
Exactly right. Competiveness was tossed out the window, the primary objective has been to keep regions compact to reduce travel costs.

We can thank the boneheads in Horry County for the Carolina Forest situation, that school is the only reason 5A had to extend down and include SF, Conway, Socastee and St. James.

We were competitive in 4A-II. In a straight up 5A, not so much. Before anybody starts posting any BS about this, look at how many smaller 5A schools made it to the 2nd round. (The answer is "2", and one of them had a small opponent in the first round.) How many will make it to the third round?..... zero.
Greenwood just isn't as good with the current situation no disrespect. My eyes can see. Too basic and no creativity. Some talent also choosing not to play. When we're right we can beat anyone and have. The schools that don't make it just aren't good. That's it.
I call BS! No disrespect but I hear this a lot from Greenwood fans. You guys have a great winning tradition. You have multiple state titles in football (9) and competitive almost every year. Y'all live by the motto anyone, anytime. I like the confidence, but there's one thing I've learned over the years....you can lie about the numbers, but the numbers don't lie. When thinking tradition big school powers in the state Dutch Fork, Dorman, Byrnes and Gaffney come to mind. So without wasting a lot of my time I checked Greenwood's record against those schools. They are as follows....
vs. Dutch Fork 1-2
vs. Dorman 8-17
vs. Byrnes 2-9
vs. Gaffney 10-14
Greenwood won a state title in 1976 the next four titles came in 1999,2000,2006 and again in 2012. And yep you guessed it....All of them came in 4A "DIVISION 2".
You have no clue what you're talking about when it comes to my team. You haven't seen my team. I know my team. We're not where we were. Facts. We've lost to Easley twice in the last 3 years, Woodmont this season. We don't lose to these teams. I don't care what you read or say. You aren't in Greenwood.

Who won Big 16 in 2000? Dorman. They had 1 loss. Who was that? Greenwood. In 2012 we beat everyone we played including the Big 16. We always competed. Didn't matter if it was a Big 16 school. We know our team and kids. A lot of them left Greenwood to play for other schools because they didn't like the current situation. We aren't at our level. You can't tell a person what's going on in their own house. Hopefully we get a chance to stay put and prove this.

StateChampsGHS
Greenwood Eagles

Post by StateChampsGHS »

I agree Eagle93!
Greenwood High Eagles 2012

StateChampsGHS
Greenwood Eagles

Post by StateChampsGHS »

Go Tigers wrote:
eagle93 wrote:
SF Band dad wrote:
Damefan wrote:
He resigned!

vs. Dutch Fork 1-2
vs. Dorman 8-17
vs. Byrnes 2-9
vs. Gaffney 10-14
Throughout those years listed 4A Division 2 was stronger than 4A Division 1......Like Greenwood, Byrnes (Bobby Bently Era), South Pointe, Aiken, Berkeley, Northwestern, North Augusta and Goose Creek. Just naming a few.

Damefan
No Team Affiliation

Post by Damefan »

I learned two good quotes that a coaching friend shared with me a long time ago:

The biggest challenge after success is shutting up about it. Nobody cares what you did yesterday or in the past. You have to do it again today and tomorrow.

True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.

StateChampsGHS
Greenwood Eagles

Post by StateChampsGHS »

Damefan wrote:I learned two good quotes that a coaching friend shared with me a long time ago:

The biggest challenge after success is shutting up about it. Nobody cares what you did yesterday or in the past. You have to do it again today and tomorrow.

Previous success sets standards for players to reach.

eagle93
Greenwood Eagles

Post by eagle93 »

StateChampsGHS wrote:
Damefan wrote:I learned two good quotes that a coaching friend shared with me a long time ago:

Previous success sets standards for players to reach.
Also coaches and staff. If a coach doesn't believe that they can compete with everyone in front of them then neither will the players.

Damefan
No Team Affiliation

Post by Damefan »

In a book I just finished called “Gridiron Genius” you first must experience success to achieve success. The Green Bay Packers who your G is based off of had a history of success with 13 championships more than any team in the NFL, and nine before the Super Bowl years. They won the first two Super Bowls but only made the playoffs 5 times in the next 29 years. Having success in the past doesn’t guarantee it in the future.

Each team must develop its own character and motivation. You obviously were a player and understand this. You saw the greatness of the teams of your past, but how many rising 9th graders have? This is what molds success and the continuation of it. It is also the reason many team never achieve it, they don’t know what it looks like! I have watched too many teams live on the past to see them split up with new schools or retirement of a long-standing successful coach. Times are changing in South Carolina and this next realignment is going to be big for a lot of schools. It will set a course of success or failure for some for the next two years. Your school is undertaking a big change by splitting the AD and football coach’s position. Many have posted that this will eliminate some good candidates and I agree. I know one who applied personally.

I am not trying to get into a big debate, this is just my opinion on what is going on in the state currently with the coaching carousel. It will affect some of my friends and former colleagues. So yes I am concerned.

Deputy
No Team Affiliation

Post by Deputy »

As far as Greenwood.....Pippen wasnt a good fit for whatever reason. But Greenwood has changed. The folks with the same expectations of Greenwood football as they had 20 years ago may be disappointed.

eagle93
Greenwood Eagles

Post by eagle93 »

Deputy wrote:As far as Greenwood.....Pippen wasnt a good fit for whatever reason. But Greenwood has changed. The folks with the same expectations of Greenwood football as they had 20 years ago may be disappointed.
Greenwood didn't change until 2014. Let's see how the next coach does. Doesn't mean a coach is a bad person, but it has to be the right fit for the school. Mike Martin was a great person but was a bad fit for Greenwood when he was there. Let's just take a we'll see approach on it.