Fort Dorchester vs Dorman poll & comments

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.

Who wins: Fort Dorchester vs Dorman

Poll ended at Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:43 am

Fort Dorchester
47%
Dorman
53%

Total votes: 15

trojangrad78
Northwestern Trojans

Fort Dorchester vs Dorman poll & comments

Post by trojangrad78 »

And then there were 2. Upper state vs Lower state. Two teams seeking the respect and validation that they are the best in the state.

Comments??

2002Patriot
Fort Dorchester Patriots

Re: Fort Dorchester vs Dorman poll & comments

Post by 2002Patriot »

Obviously, Dorman has been there before so I'm sure the coaches will know how to keep the kids calm better than Fort; although LaPrad has been there before it has been a long time since he was there with Summerville.

I think it'll come down to Fort's offense and defense being on the same page and can LaPrad make the changes necessary in game that he may or may not need to make. We've seen when Fort's offense doesn't show up (Spring Valley) the defense did and vice versa vs Boiling Springs. I just hope there's wasn't too much of a celebration after a hard fought win over Goose Creek.

I still like Fort 38 -28.

Red Head
Fort Dorchester Patriots

Post by Red Head »

Fort's defense is good enough to slow Dorman down. Fort's offense will outpace Dorman's offense. Forts offense is not the best at any one thing, just very good at everything. 35-24 Fort

dfactor26
Fort Dorchester Patriots

Post by dfactor26 »

I think the great thing about this Fort Dorchester team is that they have been able to win in a variety of ways this season. Just the past 4 games I think is a great example of that.

Against Ashley Ridge in the last regular season game Fort Dorchester had the offense rolling, but it was RB #28 who dominated that game, he had 230 yards rushing and 4 TD's and sealed the deal in the 3rd quarter. He has had other dominant multiple TD games including putting 7 rushing TD's on the board the first game of the season and has 30+ TD's this season.

The very next game against Spring Valley the offense seemed out of rhythm (especially in the first half) and it was the defense that won the game for Fort Dorchester. I realize allowing 14 points isn't dominant or anything, but I think it's important to remember that 14 points is tied for the lowest scoring output of the season for Spring Valley and one of those TD's came late in the 4th when Fort had heavy substitutions on defense. Regardless it was the defense that kept the game close until the offense was finally able to break through in the 2nd half to put the game away. After graduating alot of key players from a standout defense in 2014 I thought this year the defense would take a big step back...and even though the defense has had it's rough games, they have also played VERY well in games this season. They play with alot of attitude and hit hard (a big reason for the high turnover numbers and have a few ball hawks in the secondary that have shut down some really good passers this season. The defense this year has been a huge surprise and I think they are playing outstanding, they have allowed 14 points or less 8 times this season.

Against Boiling Springs the defense did not have it's best game, but the offense was on fire especially in the passing game and it was #81 and #14 who did most of the damage through the air. After reading on this very board about how good Boiling Springs secondary was and how they have done so well at taking away #1 receivers this season I expected Fort Dorchester to lean on the running game, and while they did have over 200 rushing yards the passing game was even more effective and it was the #1 receiver who had the big standout game. WR #12 did not do much damage against Boiling Springs, which leads me to the next game...

Reading on this board about the Goose Creek/Fort Dorchester matchup one of the things I read was that if Goose Creek could shut down #81 at WR their defense could keep the Fort offense in check..and in the first matchup they did a very good job of that holding #81 to just one catch and keeping the Fort Dorchester offense to 20 points - their lowest scoring output of the season. Goose Creek did really well at keeping #81 out of the game, in fact they did even better the 2nd time around holding him to 0 catches...but it was WR #12 who showed up big time, having 6 catches for 136 yards and a TD. I personally love #81 and think he is a huge part of the offense and is the #1 deep threat/WR on the team and obviously has the numbers to prove that, but I believe #12 is the best pure receiver on Fort Dorchester...I think he'll be one of the top in the state as a senior next year. But the point I want to emphasize here is focusing on #81 leaves #12 and #14 out there and they have done damage this year - Fort has 3 receivers all with over 40 catches and 700 yards.

So just in the past 4 games FD has won several different ways, a dominant rushing game, a dominant defensive game, big games from WR #81/14 and big games from WR #12. I believe that it all starts with the offensive line, who has a US Army All-American at guard who was a Mr. Football finalist, and a North/South player at tackle, and have tremendous size across the board. They are a huge reason why the Fort offense has been so productive this year, they have protected the QB and opened up monster holes for the RB. The offensive line has been a catalyst that has allowed huge numbers from the RB's and Wr's and helped turn the sophomore QB #5 into one of the top players in the state. The Fort QB #5 has 2900 yards passing and 27 TDs (which is only 300 yards and 5 TD's less than Dorman's Shrine Bowl and Mr. Football finalist QB), but the Fort QB also is dangerous on the ground where he has 1000 yards rushing and 17 TD's bringing his total yardage to just under 4000 yards and 44 TD's...which is an incredible number on it's own but even more impressive when you factor in he spent big minutes on the bench in 8 out of the 14 games this season.

Does any of this mean I think Fort Dorchester runs away with the game...no. Does it even mean I think Fort will win...not necessarily. I'd just like to give info about the team to any Dorman fan or other SC high school football fan that doesn't know much about Fort. They are a complete team who have won in a variety of ways this season. Dorman is a very good team that I have a ton of respect for, so there is no way I'm just being a homer about my team, but I think Fort Dorchester is as good as anybody in the state and if they play at the level they are capable of they are a very hard team to beat.

EHSMeanGreen
Easley Green Wave

Post by EHSMeanGreen »

4A Division I Matchup Stats

Fort Dorchester - (14-0).......(25-3 in the last two seasons)
Offense - 3rd in 4A - 43.0 Pts. per game (Regular Season)
--30 pts. or more in 11 games (All games)
--40 pts. or more in 8 games (All games)

Defense- 5th in 4A - 15.6 Pts. per game (Regular Season)
--17 pts. or less in 8 games (All games)
--14 pts. or less in 8 games (All games)
--7 pts. or less in 5 games (All games)

Dorman - (11-3).......(21-6 in the last two seasons)
Offense - 15th in 4A - 32.8 Pts. per game (Regular Season)
--30 pts. or more in 8 games (All games)
--40 pts. or more in 5 games (All games)

Defense- 8th in 4A - 18.9 Pts. per game (Regular Season)
--17 pts. or less in 8 games (All games)
--14 pts. or less in 8 games (All games)
--7 pts. or less in 2 games (All games)

Notes:
Dorman and head coach Dave Gutshall are playing in its 5th state title game. (1994,2000,2001,2009,2010)
Coach Gutshall and his Cavaliers have a record of 2-3 in those contests.
Dorman and coach Gutshall won their 2 State titles in 2000 and 2009.
Gutshall is in his 23rd season as head coach, Gutshall is 225-85 overall.

Fort Dorchester and head coach Steve LePrad are playing in their first ever state title game.
In his 13th season at the helm, Leprad is 102-62 overall.

Notes were gathered using information from SC Football History.

DeCav
Dorman Cavaliers

Post by DeCav »

Good luck to the Fort Dorchester Patriots tomorrow! And safe travel to all the fans! I know I'm proud of the Cavs and I'm sure the Patriot fans are super proud too. I'm hoping it will be a good one! I know our team will have to play perfect to take down the undefeated Patriots. The Cavs always draw a tough opponent in the title game and this 6th time is no different. No matter what happens I will be happy for one team and its fans and lament the outcome for the other.
“Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Dorman#1
Dorman Cavaliers

Post by Dorman#1 »

Is anybody sure that this game won't be televised ?

Wavefan70s
Summerville Green Wave

Post by Wavefan70s »

Usually its on sc TV .7 on regular TV
Some times its on5.
Congrats on the kids making it to state win or lose its a honor. Enjoy it its tough to get back for a second time.

fdgrad00
Fort Dorchester Patriots

Post by fdgrad00 »

Im not sure. Last time we had stratford vs northwestern. We also had bishop England vs central and abbeville, not to mention timberland vs woodruff. Dont think timberland state game last year was televised

SF Band dad
South Florence Bruins

Post by SF Band dad »

Dorman#1 wrote:Is anybody sure that this game won't be televised ?
You can watch it live on-line, a one day subcription is $9.95. http://www.nfhsnetwork.com/events/schsl/b5592fe0f6" target="_blank

I don't know if it will be carried on TV live anywhere. In years past TWC Florence had them free on-demand a few days later.