Florence Memorial Stadium

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
bruindad79
South Florence Bruins

Re: Florence Memorial Stadium

Post by bruindad79 »

SF Band dad wrote:The Stadium isn't in the city limits, I don't know who owns it. I always just assumed it was Florence SD1.
I found out tonight at the Booster Club mtg that the stadium is actually owned by the "Florence Stadium Commission", they lease it to the city who in turn ''rents" out the stadium to FSD1... Sounds to me some shady business is going on, however, they will know me on a first name basis REAL SOON!!! :lol: :lol:

bruindad79
South Florence Bruins

Post by bruindad79 »

A bit of an update, this is 6 member board (I Think). There is a vacancy on the board that represents FSD1. I will be meeting with the asst. super to see about filling the vacant position with yours truly. Will keep you posted!

micallen
South Florence Bruins

Post by micallen »

bruindad79 wrote:A bit of an update, this is 6 member board (I Think). There is a vacancy on the board that represents FSD1. I will be meeting with the asst. super to see about filling the vacant position with yours truly. Will keep you posted!
Good Luck !

trojangrad78
Northwestern Trojans

Post by trojangrad78 »

It was not the best place the last time I was there....which was around 1982.

micallen
South Florence Bruins

Post by micallen »

trojangrad78 wrote:It was not the best place the last time I was there....which was around 1982.
Oh, heck... they've added Diet Pepsi at the concessions since then !!

trojangrad78
Northwestern Trojans

Post by trojangrad78 »

micallen wrote:
trojangrad78 wrote:It was not the best place the last time I was there....which was around 1982.
Oh, heck... they've added Diet Pepsi at the concessions since then !!
It could be worse. My daughter teaches at Newberry High School. Last year, the mrstg78 and I went to Abbeville to see the game. The ticket office/concession stand was a wooden about 12x18 building....concessions windows on the front (field) side and ticket windows on the back (parking lot) side. The "press box" and coaches spotting location was on a scissor lift that was on top of the concession stand. Did I mention "facilities" were all port-a-pots on the home side behind the stands? The home side stands were cut into a small hill. People bring their lawn chairs and sit between the sidewalk and the top of the stands, which are the old solid concrete ones. That stadium has not changed in like 60 - 70 years! At least the visitor's stands were the new style aluminum ones where you cannot drop something between them all the way to the ground. No locker room for the visitors. The Newberry football team was using the woods for #1 needs at halftime, which was right behind us :-D

micallen
South Florence Bruins

Post by micallen »

An aerial pic for those that's never had the pleasure...

micallen
South Florence Bruins

Post by micallen »

Any update on this ?

SF Band dad
South Florence Bruins

Post by SF Band dad »

I've heard some rumors about buildimg a 2nd shared stadium for the 3 schools, but I've heard nothing remotely official.

There short answer is "no".

Tigerific
Conway Tigers

Post by Tigerific »

Didn't you tell me one time there was another high school being discussed for Florence?