OTS Sports Network High School Football Poll (Week 9)

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
FootballFan4343
HS Football Fanatic

Re: OTS Sports Network High School Football Poll (Week 9)

Post by FootballFan4343 »

SF Band dad wrote:For comparison, here's their state ranking from MaxPreps' Freeman ranking system which is just based on statistics, without the "home cookin"...
  • 9: Hartsville
    13: Myrtle Beach
    14: Dillon
Pretty sure this poll is done by people from the Upstate, so if they have PeeDee teams ranked higher than some upstate teams, it seems the opposite of "home cookin" to me.

BYRNES#1
Byrnes Rebels

Post by BYRNES#1 »

Rebel-Fan-74 wrote:Polls are nothing but popularity contests with human voters and when it comes to the computers, a human wrote the program and weighs things the way "HE" thinks they should be weighed...

Win is worth this many points
bonus for beating a team on the road
bonus for beating a team with a winning record
etc

There is no formula for determining the best team. It's done on the field but what makes it so much fun....
The best team doesn't win all the time.

2010 - 14-0 Byrnes against a Dorman team they beat earlier in the season at Columbia. Byrnes was the better team, Dorman won.
2011 - 14-0 Dorman with same circumstances, Byrnes won
2012 - 14-0 Gaffney with T shirts already printed up "15-0 AAAA Division One State Champs" and we all know how that turned out...

You could list games from your experience as well, I'm sure. But again, that is what makes it so much fun! Have you ever DVR or for you old foggies, recorded a game on VHS and before you get to watch it, someone says "WHAT ABOUT THAT UPSET?" and the game is ruined for you.... Even the blind dog finds a bone every once in a while,

How many folks picked:
Riverside over Boiling Springs
White Knoll over North Augusta
Conway over South Florence.. oops, that is this week's game, I wasn't supposed to let the cat out of the bag just yet, my bad!
Wrong years 74...

these are the years you were referring to. ;)
I dont give em hell, I just tell them the truth & they think its hell!

Rebel-Fan-74
Byrnes Rebels
Location: On the banks of the Tyger River and those banks are rising..

Post by Rebel-Fan-74 »

BYRNES#1 wrote:
Rebel-Fan-74 wrote:Polls are nothing but popularity contests with human voters and when it comes to the computers, a human wrote the program and weighs things the way "HE" thinks they should be weighed...

etc

There is no formula for determining the best team. It's done on the field but what makes it so much fun....

2010 - 14-0 Byrnes against a Dorman team they beat earlier in the season at Columbia. Byrnes was the better team, Dorman won.
2012 - 14-0 Gaffney with T shirts already printed up "15-0 AAAA Division One State Champs" and we all know how that turned out...

You could list games from your experience as well, I'm sure. But again, that is what makes it so much fun! Have you ever DVR or for you old foggies, recorded a game on VHS and before you get to watch it, someone says "WHAT ABOUT THAT UPSET?" and the game is ruined for you.... Even the blind dog finds a bone every once in a while,

How many folks picked:
Conway over South Florence.. oops, that is this week's game, I wasn't supposed to let the cat out of the bag just yet, my bad!
Wrong years 74...

Well, you know how old people forget things... :oops:

BYRNES#1
Byrnes Rebels

Post by BYRNES#1 »

Rebel-Fan-74 wrote:
BYRNES#1 wrote:

etc

How many folks picked:
Wrong years 74...

Well, you know how old people forget things... :oops:
Your accounts of the seasons were correct, your seasons were the only thing wrong. You still have a lot left, hang in there. I got your back ;)
I dont give em hell, I just tell them the truth & they think its hell!

Sibilance
Dorman Cavaliers

Post by Sibilance »

FootballFan4343 wrote:
Tigerific wrote:I think Hartsville and MB belong in the top 10 but not ahead of Dorman. Dillon could beat a lot of 4a teams but not the top eschalon.
I know I am probably in the minority but I absolutely think that MB and/or Hartsville could beat any of the top 4A teams. They have proven that before when given the opportunity (Byrnes in 2012). Dillon has also gone toe to toe with much bigger and nationally ranked schools. Dillon lost 20-17 to Mallard Creek last season (Mallard Creek went 16-0, won the North Carolina 4A state title and finished #22 in the nation).
By no means am I saying MB, Hartsville, or Dillon WOULD beat those teams, but I would give them as good of shot as anyone. The elite teams in 3A and Dillon in 2A could compete in ONE game versus any of the top 4A teams. Where a team like Dillon would lose out is over the course of a season, through injuries, their lack of depth would become an issue. MB and Hartsville on the other hand are big 3A schools, so they wouldn't have as big of an issue with that.
You ARE in the minority. It's OK, I am just glad you realize it. It has to be more than that these 3A teams have "a shot" at beating a 4A school. This stupid poll is trying to pretend that they know what they are talking about by including those smaller schools.

And don't mistake the Rock Hill area for the UPSTATE. Where SC football has dominated in recent memory.