Fort Dorchester vs Goose Creek

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
DeCav
Dorman Cavaliers

Fort Dorchester vs Goose Creek

Post by DeCav »

I know the GC/Hillcrest game was a shootout. And I've read that neither defense for Fort or BS had an answer for the opposing offense. Apparently BS made a lot of mistakes to help along a very good Fort team.

I'm wondering how these two defenses will fair next Friday night. I haven't seen either team play this year. I hear GC is great on the ground and Fort has a very good defense. That's about all I know.
“Win as if you were used to it, lose as if you enjoyed it for a change.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

dfactor26
Fort Dorchester Patriots

Re: Fort Dorchester vs Goose Creek

Post by dfactor26 »

Maybe it was the full moon or something but last night was strange for both teams. Goose Creek scored well above their average of 30ppg (although they have been trending up scoring 37ppg over the last 4 while only having 24ppg through the first 7 games) - regardless their biggest scoring output prior to last night was 41 against James Island...but what better time to have your best offensive game of the season than the 2nd round of the playoffs right? That's the good news for Goose Creek fans, the bad news is their defense allowed well over their usual points allowed per game. Through the season they averaged 23 points per game allowed, so giving up 49 last night was a bit of a shock.

Fort also had a strange night. Scoring 56 wasn't that unusual so their offense had their normal high production (unlike last week) but their defense had a really strange game last night. Early on in the season Fort Dorchester's defense looked like it would be the Achilles heal for the season as they were allowing 33ppg...but after getting some injuries taken care of and tightening up the defense only allowed 9ppg over the final 9 games of the season giving them a respectable 15.5ppg allowed average for the season. So allowing 34 last night was a shock to most Fort fans.

But these are just numbers, they don't mean anything on the field. There is a story to each game and just looking at numbers rarely gives you the real story. Last week against Spring Valley the offense struggled so the defense played lights out to keep Fort in the game...this week the defense struggled so the offense took over. And as far as Goose Creek goes they did exactly what they had to do, their defense allowed 49, but their offense scored 50...last I checked scoring more than you allow is kind of the point. The most important thing that I look at as far as numbers with these two teams are that both teams are coming into this game red hot. Fort is coming into this game on a 13 game winning streak, and Goose Creek is coming in on an 8 game win streak. When Fort Dorchester beat Goose Creek (20-13) in week 4 Goose Creek was sitting at 1-3 and looked like they might have a long season, but obviously that game changed some things because Goose Creek has not lost since. They are scoring more points on offense, allowing less on defense, and I knew they would do some damage come playoff time. I have maintained all season that Goose Creek was the best team Fort played this year, and after 13 weeks that remains the case so I'm really not surprised to see them this deep in the playoffs.

I expect a good game. Will it be a repeat of week 4 with a low scoring defensive battle? Or will it be a barnburner shootout like last night was for both teams? I expect it to be somewhere in between. Goose Creek will do what they do, and they will do it well like they always do. I expect Fort to do the same. Should be a great game.

CoverTwo
No Team Affiliation

Post by CoverTwo »

USELESS PLAYOFF FUN FACTS:

Only playoff meeting between Goose Creek and Fort Dorchester happened in 2007, in the First Round.

FD won the playoff game 24-21 on a 44 yard field goal with 39 secs remaining at Goose Creek. GC then drove the ball, setting up a 48 yard field goal that fell short as time ran out.

" target="_blank
" target="_blank

Playoff Records: 2003-15

FD 9-11
GC 16-9

SemiFinals:

FD 0-2
2003: Sumter 49 FD 21
2014: Hillcrest 20 FD 0

GC 1-2
2009: Berkeley 38 GC 35
2010: Northwestern 41 GC 34
2011: GC 49 North Augusta 6 (State Champions)

**** Stats courtesy of SCFootballHistory.com****

indian70
Gaffney Indians

Post by indian70 »

dfactor26 wrote:Maybe it was the full moon or something but last night was strange for both teams. Goose Creek scored well above their average of 30ppg (although they have been trending up scoring 37ppg over the last 4 while only having 24ppg through the first 7 games) - regardless their biggest scoring output prior to last night was 41 against James Island...but what better time to have your best offensive game of the season than the 2nd round of the playoffs right? That's the good news for Goose Creek fans, the bad news is their defense allowed well over their usual points allowed per game. Through the season they averaged 23 points per game allowed, so giving up 49 last night was a bit of a shock.

Fort also had a strange night. Scoring 56 wasn't that unusual so their offense had their normal high production (unlike last week) but their defense had a really strange game last night. Early on in the season Fort Dorchester's defense looked like it would be the Achilles heal for the season as they were allowing 33ppg...but after getting some injuries taken care of and tightening up the defense only allowed 9ppg over the final 9 games of the season giving them a respectable 15.5ppg allowed average for the season. So allowing 34 last night was a shock to most Fort fans.

But these are just numbers, they don't mean anything on the field. There is a story to each game and just looking at numbers rarely gives you the real story. Last week against Spring Valley the offense struggled so the defense played lights out to keep Fort in the game...this week the defense struggled so the offense took over. And as far as Goose Creek goes they did exactly what they had to do, their defense allowed 49, but their offense scored 50...last I checked scoring more than you allow is kind of the point. The most important thing that I look at as far as numbers with these two teams are that both teams are coming into this game red hot. Fort is coming into this game on a 13 game winning streak, and Goose Creek is coming in on an 8 game win streak. When Fort Dorchester beat Goose Creek (20-13) in week 4 Goose Creek was sitting at 1-3 and looked like they might have a long season, but obviously that game changed some things because Goose Creek has not lost since. They are scoring more points on offense, allowing less on defense, and I knew they would do some damage come playoff time. I have maintained all season that Goose Creek was the best team Fort played this year, and after 13 weeks that remains the case so I'm really not surprised to see them this deep in the playoffs.

I expect a good game. Will it be a repeat of week 4 with a low scoring defensive battle? Or will it be a barnburner shootout like last night was for both teams? I expect it to be somewhere in between. Goose Creek will do what they do, and they will do it well like they always do. I expect Fort to do the same. Should be a great game.
Really good post!
Gaffney Indians............Greatest show on turf!

CoverTwo
No Team Affiliation

Post by CoverTwo »

Both teams can light up the scoreboard on offense. However, FD has the better defense, which will decide the outcome of this game.

Fort D 42 Goose Creek 27

Underdog
Goose Creek Gators

Post by Underdog »

Beware of the underdog... The Fort beat us by 1 td. It is now time for payback. Gators pull the upset..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

2002Patriot
Fort Dorchester Patriots

Post by 2002Patriot »

Underdog wrote:Beware of the underdog... The Fort beat us by 1 td. It is now time for payback. Gators pull the upset..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I don't expect to blow you guys out and I wouldn't be surprised if we did lose but I think we'll be hungry to get the job done this year.

Fort 35
Goose Creek 28