Big 16 for 2014

Discussions for fans of all teams and all classes of South Carolina High School Football.
5Vikings
Spartanburg Vikings

Re: Big 16 for 2014

Post by 5Vikings »

So just to get Clarification because I definitely do not know how this works.... This would be the Big 16 for Next Football Season..

SF Band dad
South Florence Bruins

Post by SF Band dad »

The SC Department of Education's 135-day Average Daily Membership (135-ADM) numbers are used by the SC High School League (SCHSL) to classify the schools by size.

The 4A "big 16" schools are established every year based on the previous Spring's 135-ADM. The numbers come out of the Dept of Education in May or June, but the SCHSL struggles to release the updated big-16 list until late in the fall. Every year they publish a 4A Handbook with last year's big16 listed which causes a lot of confusion because there are always a couple of changes.

Designation as a "big 16" school isn't as important as it used to be since it now only determines how many "playoff points" you are worth to an opponent.

Playoff seeding is also determined by the previous ADM, the largest 16 schools that qualify for the playoffs go into the upper bracket, the remaining 16 go into the lower bracket. (Which is what happened to Spartanburg last year.)

Every two years the ADM numbers are used to determine classifications and realign the classes and regions. This Spring's numbers will be used to realign for the 2016-17, 2017-18 school years.

5Vikings
Spartanburg Vikings

Post by 5Vikings »

So I am Assuming that with Spartanburg being at #21... It's probably going to be Division II again???

SF Band dad
South Florence Bruins

Post by SF Band dad »

5Vikings wrote:So I am Assuming that with Spartanburg being at #21... It's probably going to be Division II again???
You really can't make that leap. You don't know which schools will move up or down in this Spring's ADM count. There are always some wildcards: new schools and redistricting.

Additionally, you don't know what big schools will have a bad year and not make the playoffs. I think three years ago #23 ended up in the Division I bracket.

5Vikings
Spartanburg Vikings

Post by 5Vikings »

Thank You Sir!!!! That is why I leave all the "Hard Work" for you Smart Guys!!!! :D